PDA

View Full Version : HKG dog owners pls...

Herc Jerk
13th Mar 2005, 01:03
Soon to be moving to HKG- self with KA and wife working in central- and we are bringing our RSPCA orphaned Kelpie X frisbee catching f@rting mutt with us from AUS. Am jumping through the AQIS/AFCD hoops as req, but, as we don't know any HKG residents with animals, i would really appreciate any day-to-day type info... such as... but certainly not limited to...

On arrival we pick the dog up from customs (with forms- nil quarantine) and then we need to get to Central. Can we take him on the MTR? If not, can we take a cab with dog? Are pets allowed on public transport at all?

Are all parks dog friendly, or only some? Are any close to central/soho? And what of beaches that are dog friendly?

Initially we will be staying in a serviced apartment while we get a feel for HKG and look for a place to rent. What areas are affordable on our allowances while being doggy friendly- and preferably being close to public transport for both of us to get to work in a reasonable amount of time? DB obviously springs to mind, but are there others? Maybe even with a small yard... or is this too much to ask?!

Thanks in advance

HJ

tamalai
13th Mar 2005, 01:21
you do know that this is Hong Kong ?

PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF CHINA ??

If you go in a restaurant here the only thing with four legs that ain't on the Menu is the TABLE !!!

Don't be suprised if your frisbie catching friend disappears one night...............................

Old chinese saying, "If it has four legs and it's back points to heaven, it's food"

mairyhinge
13th Mar 2005, 07:40
Dont listen to Tamalai. There are plenty of people in HK with pets. Might be a little difficult at first. I am not sure about whether the serviced apartments allow dogs. There are places like Sai Kung where you and your K9 friend will be very happy, however a car or even 2 may be needed for wife and you to travel to work etc. Cars can be cheap or expensive depending on what you want to buy. Possible to buy cheap and reliable car <$10,000 HKD :ok:

idg
13th Mar 2005, 12:30
Agree with MH!

We have mutts as well and taking them in cabs has not been a problem..especially as the fare is increased the cabbies don't seem to mind!

Don't think the MTR allows dogs but happy to be corrected on this since we have never used it for ours.

As for beaches, again up in the NE past Sai Kung there are some wonderful white sandy beaches where the mutts can run free, however the gazetted beaches ie where swimming is regulated and usually shark nets are provided do not allow dogs, so ensure that the beach is not so equipped and you will be OK.

Sai Kung (as MH has said) is the place to be IMHO. Not sure that DB is so dog friendly as anywhere else....but I don't know it well so again stand to be corrected. Not many serviced apartments in SK though! Most guys seem to stay Kowloonside (New World etc) before committing to somewhere.

Good luck and PM me if you want more info. :ok:

Just an other number
13th Mar 2005, 13:21
It might be a good idea to leave your dog in Oz for a few weeks with friends or kennel before shipping him here to join you.
Better to try to get yourselves organised with accommodation, which may take a month, before you complicate your life.
"serviced apartment"? ask them now if they take pets.
Probably not.
Better for both you and the canine to delay things.
And I echo the Sai Kung recommendation.
Having been here since 83 with dogs.

Chris

DDDOF
13th Mar 2005, 13:40
Couple of quick questions also on behaf of our 4 legged friend.
We are using "Export a Pet" to help us bring in our dog.
We aren't bringing our dog over right away, she's coming over after I start line training and have found a place.
What are the best places to buy dog food, with the best selection, and I would expect that prices will be higher as with everthing else.
What do you guys do with you dog when you leave HK on vacation etc. Are there any kennels and do they pick up your dog or do you have to drop them off.
For those living in Sui Kung, could you recommend a place to look at rentals, web site, agents etc.
Also how do you get to work at the airport, drive the whole way and park, drive, cab or bus it to the MTR??? And how long does it take?
To get to those beaches near Sui Kung do you have to drive there or can you walk?
Are there walking trails?
Also are there any off leash dog parks, which are fenced areas for dogs to run and play off leash with other dogs?
I and my dog thank you!!

DRAGONBREATH
13th Mar 2005, 19:43
There are gazzilions of dog owning people within Discovery Bay... even within the Marina; my shoes bear testament to the smell of dog poo... I'd appreciate dog owners to clear up the "crap" after walkies at midnight!

idg
14th Mar 2005, 02:19
DDDOF,
Good move I would say to leave everyone home until you're on line.
Many people have helpers in the home who can look after the dog when you're away. Around Sai Kung the dog is also a deterrent to burglars and thus keeps the helper safe as well. There are a few kennels out near the country park in Sai Kung and also I belive on the island too. The SPCA also offer this service I think.
Haven't noticed that dog food is particularly expensive here as I buy in bulk usually and have not bought in this quantity back home for a long time. But stand by to be corrected on this one!
The beaches that I referred to are some ways out in the country park and are a good walk away but not impossible. We usually drive to the country park gate, then walk. There are plenty of walking trails much nearer than this though, all over the place.
Dogs of AUW >20kgs have to be on a lead even in the country park, but no-one seems to take much notice of this!!
There are no specific areas where dogs can 'play' together as there are a large number of (semi wild) 'village' dogs round here that can get quite territorial when approached by another dog. Not un-common for fights to break out, but I have to say I've had more trouble from unruly "pets" than with these 'village' dogs!

As to the agencies around Sai Kung...they are many and varied some of which I would recommend and some not! PM me if you want details.
:ok:

Herc Jerk
16th Mar 2005, 13:24
Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.

Bit of info found in the meantime...

Dog in cab = HK$5 extra = happy cabbie as IDG says

MTR bylaws = no dogs unless your blind (not coming-home-from-wan chai-at-2am blind)

Shama Soho is the only serviced apartment allowing pets... for a small fee of course.

Large Dogs (http://www.afcd.gov.hk/quarantine/text/am/dog/index.htm) allows dogs +20kg off leash in country parks/swimming ONLY. You need to do the exemption exam if you want them off leash in other places.

HK AFCD use the 9 digit AVID (ASX) micro-chip which is not the ISO standard (16 digit). Does anyone know whether HK has multi-readers or will i have to give the poor guy another chip when we get there?

And one more question: how long would it take someone who drives like he's got all day to get from Sai Kung to CLK?

HJ

My advice for what its worth;
don't borrow DragonBreath's shoes
never ever say "i'll have what your having" if tamalai orders first...;)

DDDOF
16th Mar 2005, 17:16
Well I looked at that link you have.
I'm afraid my nearly 40Kg Yellow Lab, would fail that test miserably, she'd be too busy off sniffing for food, to listen to me. However she is very submisive with other dogs, and it is good to note that they can be off lease in the country parks and while swimming, other than that i think we'd be happier if she was on her 2 m leash.
Thanks again to all for the info.

TwoDogs
26th Mar 2005, 09:55
HJ...
Have you considered South Lantau (Mui Wo, Tong Fuk). Plenty of walking trails, dog friendly areas and beaches only yards away.

Basil
2nd Apr 2005, 09:38
A Korean buddy says he'll wok your dog if you like.

OK, I'm just leaving :O

tamalai
5th Apr 2005, 06:55
know what a ****zu is ???

A zoo with no animals.............................

Ok, i'm leaving too .........................

HotDog
5th Apr 2005, 13:27
In 1987 I was a part of a hot air balloon expedition in Yangshou on the Li Jiang river, Guangxi province China. We were given a great banquet by the Mayor of Yangshou, after flying low over his town that brough it's traffic to standstill, they have never seen a hot air balloon before. After countless gan beis of maotai, the food was served. One quite tasty dish of very dark sweetish meat, not unlike venison, which I thought it was; the Mayor asked me if I liked it? Yes, I replied, what is it? "Duk" he said. Duk as in quack quack, I enquired? No, duk as in woof woof, was his answer. My stomach turned thinking of Elsa, my Dalmatian safely at home in Hong Kong.:{

tamalai
15th Apr 2005, 07:04
poodle....anyone got a good recipe for poodle ??? preferably with rice rather than potatoes..............................:}

elato99
15th Apr 2005, 14:55
.......... can not

bumboclot
8th May 2005, 19:11
where can you leave the mutt when you want to go on a little trip somewhere? are there reasonably priced kennels where you can leave them? would be fairly easy to find a friendly neighbourhood dogsitter?
can you have a dog living at gold coast?

wish i could leave mine behind, but the wife is insisting... maybe i should leave them both behind;)