PDA

View Full Version : Valid IR prior to JAR TR?

cy becker
10th Mar 2005, 14:04
Is it imperative to revalidate an IR prior to attending a JAR type rating course?

Rgds,

CB.

Aim High
10th Mar 2005, 23:17
No it is not
you will be issued with multi crew IR on passing LST and base check
However, if you are not hot on your IF scan and basic IF skills, and plate interpretation it will cost you dearly
my advice is to brush up a bit on FNPTII and take single pilot IR at same time as revision it wont be as expensive as revising during the type rating course

cy becker
11th Mar 2005, 13:37
Thanks Aim High,

Cheers :ok:

CB.

BillieBob
11th Mar 2005, 16:11
JAR-FCL 1.250 -

(a) Pre-requisite conditions for training:

An applicant for the first type rating for a multi- pilot aeroplane type shall:
(1) have at least 100 hours as pilot-in-command of aeroplanes;
(2) have a valid multi-engine instrument rating (A);

JAR-FCL 1.185 -

(a) An IR(A) is valid for one year.

Seems to me that a valid and current MEIR is a pre-requisite for training for a first MPA type rating

joe
11th Mar 2005, 16:41
Billiebob,

What edition/ year of Lasors are you reading.

You are out of date.

You do not need a current ME IR for an initial TR. It only has to have been valid in the last 5 years.

Rgds

BillieBob
11th Mar 2005, 19:03
Joe -

I'm not reading LASORS, which is riddled with errors, but JAR-FCL 1, which is the source document. The CAA has admitted that the entry regarding the requirement for a valid MEIR for type rating training is incorrect.

I am not out of date, those requirements are from the current edition of JAR-FCL 1 (Amendment 3)

cy becker
11th Mar 2005, 19:19
Sorry chaps... I should have mentioned that this would be my second multi-crew type on JAR-25, and I'm within the 5yr limit.

Does this mean I'd be ok?

CB.

joe
11th Mar 2005, 19:35
I will eat my hat BillieBob, so will my Fleet manager and the girl from CAA FCL department who told me when i rang to check.

Pre-requisite conditions for training
An applicant for the first type rating for a MPA shall
provide evidence that the following requirements have
been met:-
a) have completed at least 100 hours as
pilot-in-command of aeroplanes;
b) have a valid multi-engine Instrument Rating
(Aeroplanes) within the last 5 years from the date
of expiry of the rating. This is only a requirement for
an initial MPA type rating and not subsequent type
ratings;
c) hold a certificate of satisfactory completion of a
multi-crew co-operation (MCC) course (this
requirement is not applicable to those who have
attended a TRTO course which includes MCC).
For full details on the MCC Course and MCC
credits can be found at Section F10.
d) have passed the professional flight crew
examinations at ATPL level.

Rgds

BillieBob
11th Mar 2005, 23:55
Joe -

You clearly fail to understand the status of LASORS. Let me try to explain, as simply as possible, the realities of the law in the United Kingdom as it relates to aviation. UK aviation law is set down in Statutory Instrument 2000, No.1562, otherwise known as The Air Navigation Order 2000. This Statutory Instrument adopts into UK law most (but not all) of the provisions of the Joint Aviation Requirements (JAR), including the requirements for Flight Crew Licensing (JAR-FCL), it does not make any mention of LASORS. Therefore, when one is considering the requirements for flight crew licensing, it is JAR-FCL that one should consult and not LASORS, which is riddled with errors and has about as much credibility within the JAA as Alice in Wonderland.

The requirements of JAR-FCL 1, relating to the requirements for type rating training, are as I have quoted them. The fact that LASORS indicates something different is totally irrelevant as that document has no status in UK aviation law and is not accepted by any other JAA member state.

SKYWRITER1
12th Mar 2005, 06:56
Now I'm totally confused. Lasors section F4.1 states within the last 5 years and Jar-Fcl 1.250 states a valid multi IR.

So what do I do? Im booked in to renew my IR in the sim so I can start a type-raing. Do i take the test as planned, or cancel and use the extra dosh on more hours practice? Trouble is, its on Tuesday, so I cant hang around. Play it safe seems to be the best option, any ideas???? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Maude Charlee
12th Mar 2005, 07:55
Take the safe option and renew the rating. Nobody is going to refuse you a type rating if you have it. Clearly there is some disagreement and confusion on the state of play if you don't have it, regardless what the actual regs might (or might not) say.

:confused: Me too. ;)

underread east
12th Mar 2005, 20:56
2 years ago I did a 757 TR (my initial type) without a current and valid single pilot ME IR - it expired 2 months before I started. No problem in getting the type added to my licence by the CAA I checked with my chief pilot and head of training, both were sure that it would not be an issue. As mentioned above, after you complete the LST your licence will be validated as multi pilot, ME IR - an entirely different rating... Make of this what you will.