PDA

View Full Version : Age Queries

nick14
10th Mar 2005, 13:28
I am 17 and currently pursuing a career as a commercial pilot and have been told conflicting things. I would like to confirm them:

The minimum age for the issue of the CPL license is 21?

The minimum age for acceptance into Oxford Aviation Training school is 18,

The APP course is 18 months in duration,

That would mean that if i enrolled at OAT completed the course and passed i would be 19-20 and therefore underage for the issue of the CPL license? Is this correct?
I would be most grateful to anyone who could help me in connection with this matter.
Kind regards
Nick Carr

Approaching Minimums
10th Mar 2005, 14:22
Hello Nick,

The minimum age for CPL is 18 years so you don't have to worry about that. Age limit for full ATPL is 21 years, however it will take years before you'll get full ATPL anyway because it has plenty of limitations. Remember, that after you graduate from flight school you'll at first have CPL and fATPL. The small "f" letter means that your ATPL is "frozen" until you have at least 1500 hours so in a real life this means a couple of year working as a F/O in some airline. So the age isn't an issue with ATPL either... Basically you don't need ATPL before you will be a captain, but most airlines require "frozen" ATPL to work as a F/O.

I hope this helps at least a little bit... Have a great flights and happy landings!

Best Regards,
Approaching Minimums

Tallbloke
10th Mar 2005, 14:29
Nick,

LASORS 2005 states that the minimum ages are 18 for CPL issue and 21 for ATPL issue. It does not mention anything about fATPL at all, which is what you would leave Oxford with if you should succeed (good luck etc.)

redsnail
10th Mar 2005, 15:58
When you graduate from Oxford you'll have a CPL with IR and ATPL theory credits. There's no such thing officially as a fATPL. It's just short hand for the above. Therefore, you need to be 18 to get your CPL, 21 for your ATPL.

cosworth211
11th Mar 2005, 13:37
If by APP you are referring to EFT's APP you are looking at closer to 2 1/2 years, of which upto 18 months is working as a FI working towards those magic 1500 hours.