PDA

View Full Version : Reverse DNS help

Tallbloke
10th Mar 2005, 12:38
Any help would be appreciated....

I am having problems with my software I use for modular ground school study. Apparently, it may be something to do with reverse DNS lookup, required when I submit results to the school. My ISP is Virgin broadband, who I have contacted, but they have yet to reply. I wonder if anyone can offer any suggestions. At present the software just crashes in a most inelegant manner and I must resort to other means to submit my results.

I am using Windows firewall, but the same happens with ZoneAlarm as well. I have also tried it with the firewall off. I am connected via a modem and wireless router and everything else works just fine.

Thanks for any help offered...

Lost_luggage34
10th Mar 2005, 12:57
Do you know the hostname or domain name you are trying to/need to send to ?

If so, you could possibly add an entry to the C\WINxx\System32\Drivers\etc hosts file. There should be a sample file there which you can edit in Notepad but I doubt this would help as it is for normal DNS.

Reverse DNS would be an unusual service to be using on your PC unless you are running a mail server. For it to work properly your ISP has to know that you are using it.

Other than that I don't have any ideas I'm afraid as it's such a rare one.

ORAC
10th Mar 2005, 14:45
See if your ISP offers a SOCKS proxy service. See here (http://www.postcastserver.com/help/DNS_Lookups.aspx).

drauk
10th Mar 2005, 20:45
Some servers require any connecting machine to have a reverse DNS entry - i.e., to be able to look up a host name for the given IP address. If this is the case with your school's software and you are using a broadband ISP (like Virgin) then only they (Virgin) can provide one. It's not something you can setup on your PC.

However, if you made your PPRuNe posting from that same PC then I can tell you that they are already providing a reverse lookup - I can lookup the IP address from which your post came without difficulty.

On this basis, assuming you're using the same PC, it isn't a reverse DNS problem.