PDA

View Full Version : JAA IR theory / ATPLs

Jepp
9th Mar 2005, 12:43
Anybody know the answer to this scenario ?

I have passed the JAA IR theory exams and have been issued a multi engine IR on my PPL,

Then, at a later date, I decide to go for a JAR fATPL, do I need to sit the whole ATPL syllabus, all 14 exams, or just the exams that were ommitted for the IR theory ?

Can't find answer anywhere:confused:

Aim High
9th Mar 2005, 19:11
You have only 1 exam for credit towards ATPL theoretical knowledge and that is ICOM

Jepp
9th Mar 2005, 19:44
Not even Air law or hp & L .........why ????

jepp

Approaching Minimums
10th Mar 2005, 12:14
Sorry, but you have to do all those tests again... I don't know where "Aim High" got his information, but you can't get CPL/fATPL after IR by just doing those missing tests which aren't necessary for IR.

I'm currently at the same situation as you Jepp, except I don't have multi engine rating yet and I'm doing my instrument on single engine aircraft. Soon after when I'll have my IR rating I'll start studying combinated CPL/fATPL theories. Those theories will take almost 4 months including ALL subjects and this is JAR requirement... I would be glad if everything would be so simple that you have to do just a few missing tests to get your fATPL but the reality is different.

The good thing is that as almost every subject is already familiar for you from IR studies the CPL/fATPL should be a lot easier.

Best Regards,
Approaching Minimums

RVR800
10th Mar 2005, 12:42
There is apparantly no overlap in knowledge..

Aim High
10th Mar 2005, 22:53
LASORS 2005
J1.6 JAR-FCL THEORETICAL KNOWLEDGE
EXAMINATION CREDITS
• The holder of a valid JAR-FCL PPL(A)/IR or
JAR-FCL PPL(H)/IR will be credited with the IFR
Communications exam.

Justiciar
11th Mar 2005, 12:54
There is a move in JAA to allow more exam credits, but I think it has all been pending for several years so its any ones guess when if ever the rules will change. It probably wont give you much anyway - possibly HPL. Ther problem is that the learning objectives for the ATPL/CPL and IR are all subtly different: for example the difference between ATPL met and CPL or IR met is the degree of Climatology learned; in Air law CPL students don't study the IFR stuff like radar procedures and instrument approaches. Why they could not have one consistent and progressive set of exams like most of the rest of the world is beyond me, but then we are dealing with Europe.

Approaching Minimums
13th Mar 2005, 16:19
Thanks for correcting me Aim High, it seems that UK requirements are a little bit different from my country even both follow JAR regulations... I'm not familiar with UK LASORS so thanks for pointing those out.

Here in Finland when doing CPL/ATPL exams you really need take part for all exams without any credits.

Best Regards,
Approaching Minimums