PDA

View Full Version : Epson Printer Head Cleaning

SirToppamHat
8th Mar 2005, 19:16
I have an Epson Stylus Photo 925 Printer.

A couple of the colours are no longer printing, despite cartridge changes and numerous head-cleaning cycles.

I have been able to get at the print head and have attempted to clean/flush, but without success.

Anyone have any similar experiences?

STH

PS

Epson said it is my fault for not using their £25 cartridges, but have offered me a second-hand exchange printer for £51.

terryJones
8th Mar 2005, 20:54
Not helpful I'll admit, but this is why I have had HP printers for the last 15+ years.

P.Pilcher
8th Mar 2005, 21:01
Oh dear, what a shame. I have owned 3 Epson printers and the only Epson cartridges I have ever used are the one supplied with the printer! My photo 925 and my wife's C66 continue to work perfectly. I have never had an Epson printer problem that can be blamed on "equivalent" cartridges. Although, I can't be certain, but this problem can happen if you leave the printer switched on for ages without using it. Better to power it off when (I think) some form of cap is fitted over the jets to prevent them drying out. The only suggestions that I can make are to try fitting a cleaning cartridge and leaving it in place for ages, running plenty of cleaning cycles, but then if the jets are blocked, you won't be able to suck the fluid through. Thus, in the extreme emergency that you are now in and as all else has failed, malt vinegar may be your answer. If you can manage to remove the jets themselves then soak 'em in the chip shop fluid for, maybe, days. If you can't then your only hope is to deposit some in the top of the jets which you can get to once the cartridges have been removed Then put the cartridges back to stop any chance of the system drying out. Again patience will be necessary.
I must stress that this is what I would try if all else has failed. I have never had to do it myself on an Epson printer, but it is the unofficial cure to such problems with HP ones which has worked for me in the past.

With regard to equivalent cartridge suppliers, as PPRuNe curently has an advertiser marketing such materials, it would be wrong for me to post a link to mine - but I have in the past. I'll say no more!

P.P.

SirToppamHat
8th Mar 2005, 21:25
Thanks chaps.

I had previously owned 2 HPs with no problems until one gave up the ghost. I will try what you suggest.

I did suggest that they might supply me with a replacement print head, and this appears to be possible, though apparently I will need a manual to install it and special software to calibrate the installed head. I think all their blah may be designed to make the offer of a used replacement for £51 seem quite attractive. They then take mine away and replace the print head for some other punter.

Regards

STH

P.Pilcher
8th Mar 2005, 21:57
At £50 you are getting very close to the price of a brand new printer!

One set of genuine HP cartridges could possibly set you back £50. I found that "equivalent" ones here tended to have jet problems anyway so invested in a brand new set for Daughter's P.C. They are now both still working perfectly - on their fourth refill!

Please post back if my "cure" works. Like many other people I fail to see why I should be expected to pay for a printer as I use it by the exhorbitant prices of "manufacturer approved" ink cartridges.
I understand that the use of such equivalent cartridges cannot be used as an excuse to void a printer warranty either.

P.P.

SirToppamHat
9th Mar 2005, 18:19
I will give it a go tonight and let you know how I get on.

STH

Background Noise
9th Mar 2005, 18:58
Mentioned above but not expanded on - you can get so called cleaning cartridges. You fit them and then 'print' as normal to clean the heads and/or run cleaning cycles with them fitted.

Do a google.co.uk search for cleaning cartridges in uk only and the ones I tried are top result.

Pablo Martin
9th Mar 2005, 21:17
Okay, your probably not this stupid but when i first got my printer (photo R200) all cartiridges were fine with ones it came with.

I then brought some immitation ones because I cannot afford 60quid every time I run out. So i replaced all the catridges and went to strart printing. Nothing comes out the catridges :confused:

Took me ages to figure out that i hadn't removed the little tags on the top of the cartridges that cover the air hole. Without these removed no ink can get out! Stupid me didnt read the intstructions when replacing! OPPS :O

That might be of some help

PM

SirToppamHat
10th Mar 2005, 09:52
I am normally that stupid, but not on this occasion! The cartridges I use have tape across the top, which you just peel off.

STH

KM-H
10th Mar 2005, 18:59
SirToppam;

I have a 925 and find the heads do clog quite easily, certainly it's worse than my old Epson 740 which is now on my son's PC.

The worst thing seems to be Mrs KM-Hs habit of not turning the printer OFF, this leaves the heads unparked and does cause problems.

However, Epson are not telling porkies, while you can replace the heads yourself (and its a BITCH to do it, with or without manual) the printer does need to be calibrated coarse in mechanical terms using a plastic bracket and then using special software which Epson US will not release.

Also, bear in mind 925s are out of production, so you could pick up Epson re-cons cheap ($49) when they were in stock over here.

I stick with mine because I like the built in card reader and the roll paper/cutter facility. On the other hand new models will print directly on DVD/CD's which would be a plus. . . . . .

innuendo
15th Mar 2005, 06:26
Sir T,
try a search in this forumon Epson clogging. I expect you will find a lot of info on the subject.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1003

From what I have read in there Epsons are quite prone to clogging if they are not used with some frequency.
Cleaning them uses a fair bit of ink and if that does not work a head replacement is the option.
For what it is worth, HP ink cartridges are probably the most costly but the print head is incorporated in the cartridge, ergo, when you replace the cartridge you are also getting new print nozzles. When I was looking for a printer to do photo quality printing I came to the conclusion that the Epson using Ultrachrome inks (archival pigment inks vs Dye type ink) sounded like the best for overall quality and longevity but I ended up with an HP for just the problem you are having. The HP eats ink but the results are really very good, especialy using their best photopaper and the Photo Black cartridge. That is the one with three levels of Black (or gray I guess).
If I was printing more often I would still like to go for the Epson R800 or equivalent as by all accounts it is just that little bit more faithful to the colours.