PDA

View Full Version : 'Serious' hardware - free to a good home

drauk
8th Mar 2005, 14:35
We've got some hardware that is no longer useful to us, of which we would like to dispose. These are Sun 220R servers, with 400Mhz SPARC processors, 1Gb of memory, twin 9Gb disks. They cost about £25,000 about 4 years ago. Alas, they are worth very very little second hand. They would be perfect for someone who wants to learn about Unix (Solaris or Linux) or as a mail server, network file server, etc.

Free to a good home. My definition of 'good' would be a hardworking student, a school, a club or some such. Someone who is just going to flog it on eBay doesn't qualify!

A few other notes:

They are LOUD. You won't want it running in your office under your desk, in your study at home or on the chest of draws in your bedroom.

They are HEAVY. You need two people to lift them for more than a few seconds.

They are BIG. I will not post them - you'll have to come and pick them up (by car - you won't get far on the bus with one of these).

Reply to this thread with an outline of your intended usage and I'll get back to you.

Tinstaafl
8th Mar 2005, 15:44
Oh, I wish! And here I am planning to set up Linux file- & mail-servers at home using some old cast-off pentium boxes...

boo hoo. sniffle. sniiiiiiiiffffffff

Mac the Knife
8th Mar 2005, 16:49
Wish I lived a bit nearer! Combined with Solaris 10 you could have some real fun........

drauk
8th Mar 2005, 18:13
Mac, I come to Cape Town very often, BUT, I'd need a serious baggage allowance! And yes, Solaris 10 (downloadable from Sun) would be perfect on them.

ORAC
9th Mar 2005, 05:23
I thought the free download was only for the intel version.....

Stoney X
9th Mar 2005, 09:08
I'll join Tinstaafl with a boo hoo of my own! Even if I could convince drauk that my cause is a just and honourable one, I doubt 'er-in-doors would allow them in the house. I've already taken over one bedroom with computer 'peripherals'.

Regards
Stoney

drauk
9th Mar 2005, 10:01
Solaris 10 is free (http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp) on Sparc and Intel processors.

ORAC
9th Mar 2005, 11:19
ORAC is a student, albeit a mature one, he even has a NUS card. He lives near Stansted and will be back in the UK in the next few weeks. He would find it very hard, if not impossible to justify any more toys however... :O :(

Mac the Knife
9th Mar 2005, 17:18
If there is any way of getting one of these magnificent beasts to Cape Town I'd be glad to give it a loving home.

Unfortunately I just can't afford the official shipping charges, though I'd be happy to help out if anyone can figure out some other means of getting one here.

....drool....drool......

--------------------

"Bother," said Pooh as he struggled with /etc/sendmail.cf, "it never does quite what I want. I wish Christopher Robin was here."

jimgriff
9th Mar 2005, 17:27
I'm sure that some willing long haul prooner could stash it in the hold on a quiet friday morning when there is no-one looking.....hint hint!!:8

Memetic
9th Mar 2005, 23:20
I got told not even to open this post!:D

stagger
10th Mar 2005, 00:56
I work in a not particularly well-funded university department in the London area. We could probably make use of one - although we don't have a desperate need.

Rugz
10th Mar 2005, 22:31
Drauk,

I have recently started a small web hosting / design company (working from home part-time; we all still have full time jobs, but see this as our retirement plan lol) with two friends and things are progressing quite nicely. Most of our customers are hosted on Wintel servers, however our e-commerce customers are on Unix servers.

I've been trying to lay my hands on some cheap / free unix hardware for a couple of months, for development / sys test / uat purposes.

This would, without a doubt, do the trick. We are currently playing with a number of flavours of unix on older wintel boxes but it's just not the same.

This would allow us to replicate our live environments much more closely, and also let us relearn many things from our sys admin days. It will also help us teach the one non-unix chap the joys and wonders of real unix.

Any chance they are still available, and do I count as a 'good' home? I am more than happy to travel down from sunny Birmingham to collect, or to arrange for them to be couriered up here.

Cheers, Rugz.

Pablo Martin
11th Mar 2005, 08:24
:(

Was about to apply intill I saw Rugz post. I think his need is far greater than me wanting them to make into a dedicated linux server for my school.

Oh well, continue to search ebay!

PM