PDA

View Full Version : Internet on 2 PC's

Devlin Carnet
8th Mar 2005, 10:05
Hi,
I have 2 daughters who both fight over using the PC for internet access,
I have recently aquired another PC, and wandered if one of you Knowledgable guys can tell me if, (and how) I can get both PCs to access the internet at the same time.
It is a USB modem with a broadband connection.

Thanks

spannersatcx
8th Mar 2005, 10:58
assuming they're both on xp (although it doesn't matter) you need to network the 2 pc's, you may need a nic (network interface card) or it may already come with inbuilt lan connectors, if using just the 2 pc's then a crossover cable is needed. Then go through the network setup wizzard and make sure you specify internet connection sharing.

There have been a few threads on here about setting up networks so may be worth a search.

I found the best way was to use a router, which gives the added security of a hardware firewall, the connection is slightly different in that you don't use a crossover cable just a straight through patch cable.

I currently have 2 pc's and an x-box connected to the router, it can get a bit laggy, even on BB, when th kids are playing on-line games and I start downloading something, it's normally Daaaaaad! Just waiting for the exchange to go to 1 or 2mb connection now.

Lost_luggage34
8th Mar 2005, 11:08
You will need to replace your existing broadband modem with a router. This will enable you to share the broadband connection between the two PCs.

You don't mention if your broadband is ASDL or cable but the same applies to each.

I am sure there are USB routers out there but I don't bother with them. Go Ethernet. Most routers are geared for this and many PCs have Ethernet built-in these days. Otherwise it's a simple case of adding an Ethernet card to each PC. They are cheap and it's a simple procedure.

I'm assuming the two machines are located apart from each other so you may want to consider a wireless router for the remote machine to avoid having to run a cable.

Hope that helps with the basics.

[Sorry - we crossed spanners !]

timmcat
8th Mar 2005, 11:18
Cheapest way to do it is thus (I know, I've just done it).

Purchase two wireless network PCi cards. Install one in each PC. Configure 'Internet Connection Sharing' on each PC (a quick google on the subject will help, its pretty simple) and you are up and away!
Only catch compared to the router solution is that PC no1 will have to be booted up for PC no 2 to be able to access the internet.

(PM me if you wish to go down the xbox route - this was the only problem I had and the solution eventually was surprisingly simple).

Lost_luggage34
8th Mar 2005, 11:37
And yes can you do it the crossover cable way as spanners and TC have described so my 'You will need to' statement is not strictly correct.

I prefer the router solution because it simplifies the use and troubleshooting i.e. not having to use the PC connected to broadband as a 'gateway'.

Devlin Carnet
8th Mar 2005, 11:57
Thanks guys thats given me a start,
Should get me some brownie points with all three ladies,(Mrs Carnet inc)
:ok:

mikedurward
8th Mar 2005, 15:10
Cheapest option is to use a crossover cable between the 2 pc's and use internet sharing.

Mike

timmcat
8th Mar 2005, 15:36
Apologies - Mike is correct of course. Perhaps I should have said 'cheapest practical solution'.

(I did briefly suggest the cabling method to Mrs TC but her response to the suggestion of having 30 metres of patch cable nailed to the skirting board was, alas, unrepeatable).