PDA

View Full Version : WMP- getting sound but no picture!

P1 Forever
7th Mar 2005, 22:08
Hi everyone,

I am trying to connect to a video link on the internet. When I click on the link it goes to windows media player, the problem is that I get sound but no picture. I have been trying for the past 2 hours with no luck.

If anyone knows what the problem could be or has any ideas please let me know, I would be very grateful!

Thanks very much.

8th Mar 2005, 15:34
What type of file are you trying to play? You might need to get the right codec. If it an AVI file you will need to download the right codec. Try DIVX (http://www.divx.com)

If you have the right codecs, it might be a problem with WMP. Go to Tools, Player, and set the video acceleration to zero. This should allow you to see the video. Otherwise download the clip, save it on your pc and play it in the DIVX player.

P1 Forever
9th Mar 2005, 20:42
Hi 126,7

Thanks for that, unfortunately with no luck. I am 95% sure that it's something to do with the actual link and not my system but thanks for the help anyway.

Cheers!!

ORAC
10th Mar 2005, 05:02
Post the link so we can try it and get the file type.

BOAC
10th Mar 2005, 07:37
P1 - we DO need some more info if we are to come up with anything useful. As ever, PLEASE post:

Operating system
Any 'changes' you have made since this function LAST worked

Have you tried playing a file of the same type (eg .avi/.mpeg/.wmp etc) from your hard drive? If so, what happens?

I had a similar problem a while ago which was down to incompatibility between (new) video card and processor.

As ORAC says, post the link (if you dare:D )

fritzi
10th Mar 2005, 19:10
Go to http://www.videolan.org/ and download VLC media player. It looks like a very basic media player on your screen but it has all the codecs you will ever need.

PS, VLC is free

P1 Forever
11th Mar 2005, 07:53
Hi guys,

here's the link that I am talking about:

www.app239.co.uk/videos.html

Try it and let me know how you get on, thanks.

BOAC
11th Mar 2005, 07:57
PIF - worked ok for me, (but I only tried the first video)

W2000Pro, WMP9, v. old(!) S3 Virge PCI video card and Athlon processor.

Have you installed/changed ANYTHING lately?

P1 Forever
12th Mar 2005, 07:57
Hi BOAC,

Must be me then!

I restored my computer 3 weeks ago and updated WMP. I have tried playing a file of the same type from hard drive on real player and that works ok. Might try downloading VLC media player that fritzi advised, hopefully that will work!

Cheers.

BOAC
12th Mar 2005, 10:35
Another option would be to right click on the url and select 'save target as' and try that?

Might be worth 'rolling' WMP back to previous?

P1 Forever
13th Mar 2005, 07:55
Hi BOAC,

I tried to select 'save target as' but it comes up 'download could not complete,' which is strange!

I am going to my brothers house next week, he's got a new computer, so I will try to download it to disk there.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Regards,

P1

Conan the Librarian
13th Mar 2005, 22:59
This all sounds a bit familiar to me. My WMP (XP Pro SP2) decided to start playing silly buggers a few weeks ago after an update from Microdaft. certain files it will not play properly and etc.etc.

The way I get around this now is just use another media player. There are loads maybe already on your machine from Media software like Roxio, or maybe Quicktime, or whatever. Failing that, download a freebie like MusicMatch, RealPlayer or similar, even if it is just used to narrow the problem down.

I now use Winamp as my default player and it seems to work fine now.

Good luck! :-)

P1 Forever
15th Mar 2005, 07:59
Hi Conan,

Yes I tried changing it to real player but get the same problem.

Don't know what the cause is so I will try using my brothers computer, maybe have some success there.

Thanks.

Jhieminga
15th Mar 2005, 10:40
You could try downloading a codec pack. I've got one called 'klcodec' with a version number, and that allows me to play every file I've ever come across.

If you Google for 'free codec' you'll find a few useful pages (http://www.free-codecs.com/).

P1 Forever
17th Mar 2005, 12:18
Hi Jhieminga,

I downloaded the K-Lite Codec pack Full, now what do I do??
I have an icon on the desktop says Klcodec241f. However when I click on the file I still go to windows media player with sound but no picture.

Thanks for your help Jhieminga.