PDA

View Full Version : CAO 40.2.1 questions

downwind
7th Mar 2005, 10:12
G'day guys,

I'm stumped by these statements in the CAO's, any help would be great!

Q1. "the holder of a command instrument rating shall not carry out an instrument approach in I.M.C. as pilot in command of an aircraft unless, during the preceding 15 months, proficiency on the navigation aid being used has been demonstrated to CASA, an approved testing officer or approved person during an instrument rating test "

Since you do a instrument rating test every year and you fly a instrument approach during the test why does CASA require this?

Q2. "the holder of a command instrument rating must not carry out a RNAV/(GNSS) approach as pilot in command of an aircraft unless, in the immediately preceding 6 months, the holder has carried out a RNAV/(GNSS) approach"

What is the reason behind this, to fly a GPS RNAV approach in a 6 month period? I do not understand why this rule applies, because I though that before you fly a GPS RNAV you must have 90 day recency and this will cover you to act as PIC for the specific GPS concerned with the operation?

Q3. "The holder of a command instrument rating shall not act as pilot in command of an aircraft on I.F.R. flights unless within the preceding 90 days, that person
has:
(a) completed 3 hours instrument time with a minimum of either 1 hour instrument flight time on that category of aircraft or 1 hour instrument time on an approved flight simulator"

When they say in this recency statement "completed 3 hours instrument time, *with* a minimum of 1 hours flight time" does this mean do a cross country of 3 hours duration and log 1 hour of IF under the hood or either 1 hour in real IMC (in cloud if possible)????

Q4. "(c) completed 1 hour instrument flight time whilst acting in command under supervision or 1 hour instrument time whilst acting in command under supervision on an approved flight simulator"

How can one log ICUS on approved flight simulator?

Q5. Is a twin locator approach considered by CASA to be the same as a NDB approach for the purpose of 90 day recency on that aid?

Q6. "Renewal of an ILS endorsement shall renew a LLZ and VOR endorsement without further test and LLZ shall renew ILS and VOR endorsement. Successive ILS renewals shall not be conducted on LLZ only"

Why is it on a instrument rating renewal test, that if the ILS glideslope is not working, you can renew the ILS component of the test by flying a LLZ approach, but the next year you do an instrument rating renewal you have to fly an ILS approach?

Thanks

:confused:

Deaf
7th Mar 2005, 10:36
You need to be:

- Able to come up with more than that

- Not be so clear (3 negatives in a sentence is required)

To get a job writing IREX's

SsaKcaj
7th Mar 2005, 11:42
Q1. YOU MAY RENEW YOU IR WITHIN 3 MONTHS BEFORE IT EXPIRES WITHOUT AFFECTING ITS EXPIRY DATE. (i'll stop shouting now) eg your IR expires 31 Jan 05, you may renew it from 1 November and your successive IR will still expire on 31 Jan.

Q2. I think is refering to a specific GPS unit, that is, you may have done a RNAV yesterday in a Garmin, but if you havn't done one on say a King KLN89B in the preceeding 6 months, you can't do it on that unit.

Q3 It is 3 hours IF not IFR. Up to 2 of the 3 may be on a synthetic trainer(different to a simulator), or a different category aircraft/simulator and at least one must be on the relevant aircraft category, or simulator

Q4. I think it is because if you are 'flying' a real simulator you are usually being checked by a C & T Captain, so you are not 'in command'. To differentiate it from acting as a co-pilot.

Q5. Yes

Q6. To allow a bit of flexibility if the one Glideslope (maybe in the whole region) goes U/S one day and is expected to be U/S until after the candidate's IR has expired. But it is stopping people renewing thier ILS every year on a LLZ. I am guessing this one.

swh
7th Mar 2005, 12:10
Downwind,

Q1 - referes to having to do a renewal or initial all over again if you let it lapse for too long.

Q2 - The 90 days covers you for recency for the type of approach, the 6 months covers you for the type of GPS unit. So one in 90 days covers you for the GPS approach aspect, and the 6 month aspect for the received you did the approach in, bit not other types of GPS units.

Q3 - Think about a multi-crew situation, co-pilot logs I/F time as co-pilot, can they then use that time for single pilot ops ?

Q4 - A simulator is like your 747, 767, 737, A330, A320 sims, motion and visuals, like the real aircraft. Some approved for zero flight time endorsements, so you can do ICUS on them. The person in charge is the person approved by CASA to operate it. See appendix 2 of CAO 40.2.1 for the credits.

Q5 - Yes

Q6 - A LLZ approcah is a non-precision approach, the ILS is a precision approach. Guess the option of doing a LLZ on a renewal helps people out if the glideslope is U/S, or when they only give you 25 at SYD which used only have a LLZ.

This also applies under C&T systems, where you may do part of your renewal with people in the back.

:ok:

Icarus2001
8th Mar 2005, 07:33
Almost swh. Question one refers to the 15 month period as per Ssakcaj's post above. How long you let it lapse for is a separate issue.

Stigmund Fraud
17th Mar 2005, 04:20
In relation to question 6 does the LLZ cover the recency requirements for the ILS ?

DirectAnywhere
17th Mar 2005, 06:03
Not that reference but CAO 40.2.1.11.4 allows you to carry out an ILS or LLZ approach provided either of those has been carried out in an aircraft or synthetic trainer in the previous 35 days.