PDA

View Full Version : The future

dal88
7th Mar 2005, 03:26
Make this relatively simple... I'm in high school, training for my PPL... Want to become an airline pilot in the future.. What’s the chances of myself going commercial only to find out that engineers are developing 'smarter planes' and that there could be the possibility of a 'computer flown plane' removing the need for pilots.

The reason this triggers a concern is that the newer a/c's that are developed it appears the more work the computers are doing and the role of the pilot may be diminishing.

Can anyone comment on there own thoughts please. Thanks in advance. Greatly Appreciated.

VisaGeeza
7th Mar 2005, 06:42
I would say about the same chance as training for any other career only to find that technology has made the job redundant. The fact is that technology is great - when it works 100%! when it doesn't work then there is a problem to deal with and often it needs a human to think things through and resolve the issue. Another thought to factor in is passenger confidence. If there is no human ready to overide defective systems in the pointy end then I for one will be taking the bus!

Pass me the crystal ball and I will make a more accurate prediction for you!