PDA

View Full Version : Wanting a better taste of the RAF!!

chrisburden21
6th Mar 2005, 23:54
Hi there all,

I have recently been accepted, as Pilot, into the RAF starting in November.

My question to anyone who can help is while leading up to OASC I had the good fortune of being organised trips to various RAF bases to get experience and a general overview of jobs/roles etc within the RAF. Now that I have been accepted I am trying to gain further experience into my chosen branch and seeing if its possible to visit a flying base, whether it was training, OCU's or frontline.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

CB

frodo_monkey
7th Mar 2005, 09:20
No problem me old!

I may be a Navigator, but I've just finished training, I've done an OCU (on the Tornado F3), and I now live on a frontline base! I'm also on leave in your part of the world as it happens.

PM me and we'll set something up.

Frodo_Monkey

Flashdance9
7th Mar 2005, 09:52
Just call up the bases- try speaking to the Corporate Communications Officer; they can put you in contact with the squadron adj or ops desks.

I'm only an Officer Cadet on a UAS, but i've done loads of work experience (all self arranged)- shadowing officers and lots of back/centre seat flying!

Get stuck in!

PS: are you a graduate or school leaver? ex UAS? When did you go to OASC: im under the impression no one is getting in at the moment.

SALAD DODGER
7th Mar 2005, 12:15
Firstly congratulations, and welcome to the club.

I wouldnt get too excited if I was you, make the most of your remaining time as a civillian, I cant see what you would gain from touring the airforce at this stage. There is plenty of time allocated for this during your training, and you are going to have plenty of time holding in which to visit any base you want. I dont know anyone in recent years who hasnt had to hold for months, even years!

If you are unsure about your preference for streaming, it probably would be worth a visit to a helo, multi and fast jet unit, but there really will be plenty of time ahead of you, and once you are in, we can even take you flying.

I know what its like to be in your position, all excited and keen, I dont want to piss on your fire. So I will send you a PM with some details if you want to visit my Sqn.

Ullevi
7th Mar 2005, 16:30
Flashdance- Where did you go on your work experience and how much flying did you get to do?

Thanks.

airborne_artist
7th Mar 2005, 19:10
http://www.seryna.co.jp/shop/resources/kegani.jpg

A bit of chilli sauce takes away that ... er fishy taste

Toddington Ted
7th Mar 2005, 19:19
:hmm: Airborne, nice one, why am I not surprised?!