PDA

View Full Version : Help - RAF ATC or ATPL?

lm1148
6th Mar 2005, 19:26
Just wandering if any of you out there have any wise words?!

I graduated from uni last summer and as a bursar have accepted a SSC as Ops Spt - ATC.

I've had some time off and delayed entry until May 05.

So, with just over 2 months until IOT I really need to make a decision. I've been involved with the RAF since A-levels etc.. and accepted sponsorship to keep doors open along the way...now it's crunch time! Due to functional reach I couldn't go aircrew so accepted Int and then ATC.

I've always wanted to fly and get into civvy aviation...I've been drawn in by the RAF though over the last few years and I need to decide whether to go through with the RAF plans as ATC which I don't really have a burning desire to do or pull out before IOT and self fund an ATPL - which would involve a 60K loan + pay back of RAf bursary + no guarantee of a job! The other option perhaps - to go RAF and take a modular route to ATPL whilst serving or start ATPL after SSC is up.

I want to be an officer in the RAF, want the life style, the opportunities etc.. but don't know if I can handle ATC whilst people are buzzing around in the sky where I want to be!

Anyone with any wise words out there, any thoughts would be gratefully received by a maiden in distress! :confused: I know it's up to me to make the decision but all inputs help!

Thanks

helicopter-redeye
6th Mar 2005, 19:33
Option B. Take the SSC and study modular. Gives you a good salary and flying environment to work in while taking the rotten exams and building the hours etc.

At your age you have 45yrs to retirement so plenty of time to get a flying career in as well.

The ATC background will help you and build so other bridges.

Generally post Uni rounding off with the RAF plus money to study.

Self funding can be hell with little cash 'en banc' (as they say in France)

(all IMHO)

e

Timeout
6th Mar 2005, 20:30
If you cannot afford the £60k to self fund, you could apply to CTC for the Wings Course.

www.ctcaviation.com/wings