PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Rating

koolrider
6th Mar 2005, 14:24
Dear Ppruners

Having just recently completed the JAR CPL, the mighty instrument rating beckons and I would be very appreciative if any information could be relayed with respect to prior preparation for the course.

Several flight programs have been tried which have been very useful however i,m sure there are common topics/scenario's which are testing and require more attention than others and whilst I have the time i would like to read into these further before the course commences.

many thanks in advance.

:ok:

flyfish
7th Mar 2005, 11:50
Firstly congrats on getting the CPL skills test out of the way.

I am still doing the I/R but I started without any real clue of what was ahead , other than I had heard the horror stories!

It has been , at least, so far quite an enjoyable experiance.

I use Rant , which has been a great help for the routes and holds.
Its quite basic graphically but dont be fooled, it is a very clever program, for example it accounts for wind and dip.

I find it helps going into the sim knowing what to expect from a situational awareness perspective and rant seems to assist with that.

As for pre reading and the like , I would have a look at the holds, the different methods of entry, the effects of wind etc.
Other than that you might find it helpful to get hold of the SID from wherever you are going to be doing your test from, some STARs, ILS and NDB approach charts.

On the subject of charts, if you still have your black jeppy book as used in your flight planning exam, get to know the above named charts well, and practice self briefing them from top to bottom as if you were going to use them for real.

As I said I am only a student, you might bet some better advice from an I/R instructor.
Good luck and enjoy .
Flyfish

Down 'n' Hanging
7th Mar 2005, 12:47
Ditto what flyfish says.

It's also a good idea to brush up on basic scan technique - something you may not have done for a while. If your local school / club permits, if they have an aircraft on the ground between flights, sit in and go through the instrument scan.

To reiterate what flyfish said, get to grips with the aerodrome plates, find out from the prospective school which they use, Jepps or Aerad, and study them well. Understand what information is given.

Hope this helps and good luck.

D 'n' H :ok:

koolrider
7th Mar 2005, 23:50
Flyfish & down n hanging

Just a word of thanks for the quick responses which was exactly what I hoped to receive. Just about to work on RANT XL which will provide a basic insight as stated.

The very best of luck with your courses

:cool:

VFE
8th Mar 2005, 15:53
Try the search function as there is a wealth of info stored.

G'luck,

VFE.