PDA

View Full Version : Qantas panel interview

high talker
5th Mar 2005, 00:07
Couldnt find any recent posts in regard to this topic. It would be great if any one who has recently had the interview has any info on the type of questions they are asking at the moment or are they still similar to the past. Any help would be very much appriciated.
high talker

franksnbeans
6th Mar 2005, 13:24
Gday High Talker,

I had a cadetship panel interview late last year. I studied everything I could get my hands on. I learned more about the company/aircraft/routes than I already knew. I read through interview technique books, read through my old HRM notes from uni and practised questions that I found on pprune, that sort of thing - basically everything I could to make the most of the chance. I found the interview techniques book very helpful throughout the entire interview. Not just for learning how to structure my answers, but also how to sit, smile, talk… things that can be easily over looked.

The cadet interview was pretty much the same layout as what I found on pprune, which leads me to believe that the large amount of text below may be of some use to you! Although being late at night now, I haven't included the link to the post. Just do a search and it should turn up.

I was expecting a bit more of a grilling than what I actually experienced. The interview was broken up into two parts, with a break in the middle, where I had an opportunity to ask the interviewers questions (in my case it was 2 767 captains – both very friendly). The first part was basically the standard interview questions. Very open ended behavioural type questions. Ie: “tell us about a time where you were in a social situation, but weren’t in a leadership position, but have had to adopt a leadership position…” Then they went on to “ tell us about a time where you had a problem with the plane…ohhh ok… so can you start again…. And what happened?... what was it? The left or the right?... why did you do that?... and what happened again?.... was it the left or the right… wait a second, can you start again please?... what time did that happen?.... and then I was told “ok ‘fnb’, we will let you have a break now, because you’ve been doing a LOT of talking. Do you have any questions for us? I took a sip of water at this point.

The second part I found similar to the awkward party situation where the annoying party goer was asking me questions to test my general knowledge. From the get go, questions were shot at me. What’s the capital of PNG… who’s the prime minister… What is the first country that you would fly over if you were flying from x – y? and then they would change to aircraft specific questions… difference between a classic and a 400, what engines on a 767… then onto company questions…. Who is the CEO, chairperson, CFO, chief pilot? Where did we start? What do SOs do? Would you be happy being a dash 8 skip at 45 years old? Then when did the Wright bros. first fly? Who was the first person to break the speed of sound? They could ask anything here I guess, but they seemed to keep going until I didn’t know the answer, or on the rare occasions where I knew everything that they threw at me, they would change topics.

With regards to approaching these sorts of things, I’ve found that having a quick think about my answers combined with a bit of good ol’ honesty worked pretty well. In my interview I gave some great answers for some questions, and lets be honest… I gave some quite shocking answers too!! I walked out not having a clue about how the interview went!

Like what others say about the process, after the interview/medical/flight test there were copious amounts of letters and phone calls that all made my heart jump into my throat only to be greeted with "just ringing to get you to send us a copy of this.... just letting you know that we intend checking this..." But having spoken to all the girls and guys in recruiting recently, QF really do look very carefully at who they put on the payroll. They consider everything. From my experience, I believe that they must get as much information on each candidate as possible, so as to get a 3D picture of them. Then they sit around a big table, possibly circular in shape, and discuss openly how every attribute that the candidate has will benefit the company. From what I was also told recently, Kim (who has all but taken over from Robyn) reads through everyone’s file, and I tend to believe this, as she knew the candidates almost personally before she had even met them. Infact all those involved with the process were like that. It was quite impressive.

Throughout the process though, I found the company to be very professional, and everyone that I met was very friendly and very helpful. Even the security guards at the gate deserve a mention! I had a great laugh with them - settled the nerves a little! I can't wait to start working for QF soon!

If you would like me to answer anything else for you, just ask. I check these things every couple of days, and those on pprune have helped me learn about things which I wouldn’t have otherwise known. Even with the RAAF selection process a few years ago, people ‘in the know’ were able to help me as best they could, and even though the RAAF failed to recognise my potential (stupid glasses), others were able to get in because of what I found out through these parts of the woods. Long story short (ish), I am more than happy to give something back to the pprune community!

All the best for your interview HT.

Best rgds,
fnb
:ok:

sorry! It\'s me again! I just found these on my computer... enjoy!

Final interview

The panel is usually 2 pilots - either 2 captains, or a captain and an FO. They begin by saying that it is a behavioural interview and that it is split into 2 parts, one for you, the other tech stuff and company. There
will be a break and you will have time to ask questions. They will be asking the odd question trying to put you under pressure (maybe making you defend a decision you made once) and seeing how you react.

What follows are actual questions people have been asked over the last few months.

When did you get down from ****? (small talk)

Tell us a bit about yourself, starting from when you left school to where you are now.

Why you did straight sciences at year 12 level?

How did you pay for your flying?

Why did it take so long for you to get your PPL?

Your first job was at *****. Tell us what you did there.

Did you ever drive around to find work?

How long did you apply for work at ***?

Why, if you enjoyed **** did you change and start flying with ****?

Why did you change work and go to *****?

Did you apply before you were given an interview?

Tell us about a time that you thought you made a big mistake.

What did you learn about the whole situation?
Why did you decide to do that? Surely it would have been better to do****? (Trying to get you to justify your decision)

Did you ever have a situation of conflict at work, did it get heated?

Tell us a little about [your current job\'s] flying.

When did you have a situation where you panicked, would you have done it differently?

Did you ever have to make a snap decision without all the facts?

What are the minimum qualifications for Qantas?

You had these qualifications in 19**, why did it take you till 19** to apply?

Have you applied to anyone else?

Can you give us a score out of 10 for your sim ride?

Ok then, but do you think you passed it?

What area did you think you needed to improve on?

What mistakes did you make?

What\'s my biggest achievement so far in flying?

Did that motivate you at all?

Any times when you had no checklist that covered the emergency and you had to think for yourself and make it up as you went along?

What characteristics do you think Pax think a captain should posses?

You\'ve probably got a list of strengths, so tell us 3 of your weaknesses.

You\'re coming into YPDN at 2500 in a cat b twin. It\'s night and they give you a clearance to track for a 6nm final, cleared visual approach. Can you see any problems?

What would you do?

What are the visual approach criteria?

They give you a visual approach and you go around, how are you going to do that?

How many aircraft do we have?

What\'s this aircraft sitting on the table?

What engine types and how much thrust/engine does it have?

How many pax?

What is its range?

Tell me about the [engine of the aircraft you currently flying].

What is the stall speed of [the aircraft you are currently flying]?

Which brakes get hotter, front or back?

OK then, if I told you the back brakes get hotter, can you think why?

How fast does it fly?

If I had to fly from SYD to PERTH, what height would I choose, why?

So why not fly as high as possible.

What happens to speed of sound as you get higher?

If 743 was flying at high attitude (0.84M) and the same one is flying at low altitude (0.84M), which one would have a higher TAS.

So does that change your answer to your previous answer about how high you\'d fly to Perth at?

What is the reciprocal of 157\'? Are you sure? You really want to stick with that? [Asked in a very accusatory manner to provide pressure].

It\'s ISA +10\', what\'s the OAT at 18,000 ft. Are you sure?

You\'re doing 480kts, you\'ve got 48nm to run, what\'s the time interval. Are you sure about that?

What aircraft would you like to fly, why?

It\'s a lot more work flying the Classic, why not take the easy way on the 744?

What will you do if unsuccessful with Qantas?

Do you have any questions for us?

Tell us about a time you were unfairly critisised, how did you react?

What company was that with?

What are some differences in your current job compared to what you\'ll do in Qantas?

What are some similarities in your current job compared to what you\'ll do in Qantas?

When was the 767 introduced?
The 744?
The 737?

Do you have any further questions?

Tell me how you came to be here today - how you became interested in flying and what you have done so far in your flying career?

What was the greatest difficulty for you to overcome to be where you are today?

What is your greatest achievement outside aviation?

What will you do if you do not get into QF?

Would you be happy being a Dash 8 skipper at 45yo? Would you consider that a satisfying career?

Could you live in Hong Kong?

Why did you spend such a short time at [company X]?

How did you get your current job? How many times had you applied before you got in?

What about a conflict at work?
What company was that with?
Were there raised voices?
How did you resolve it?
So what would you have done if the situation arose again?

You are making a night instrument approach into [airstrip with NDB} - you need to circle off the mimima and land. Tell me the rules for that. [Detailed discussion on this for several minutes, with various scenarios and what ifs].

On a scale of 1 to 10, you have someone at 10 who can\'t make a decision to save themselves, they need help from around them, and at the other end you have number 1, who is very independent and makes fast decisions and needs no one to help him. Which number you think you are?

It\'s obvious that you were going to say that, but I have your psych test in front of me which gives and accurate number - Think very carfully about your answer and give me a number from I to 10. Think carefully and honestly, and tell me which number you are.

When was the 747 Classic introduced?

What\'s that aircraft in the photo on the wall - (a biplane, but it\'s not an Avro - it is significantly larger)

What is that aircraft on the table? (one of their models is an MD11 - be careful!)

Do we have one?

Tell me about flying that aircraft - how would you go about flying from A to B - assume nil wind.

Show where max range and endurance on the drag vs. speed curve are located.

What effect will wind have on that?

What speed would you fly if there was a headwind?

Tell me about the all flying tail plane?

Tell me about the Qantas history, who, when, where!

Why do you want to work for Qantas as opposed to another airline?

Do you have applications in for any other airlines?

What will you do if they offer you a job?

What will you do if you are unsuccessful? Have you considered a career in the regionals ?

Why not? Why are you not interested in the regional airlines?

Give me 4 strong points in your character.
Give me 4 weak points in your character.
Why is *** a weak point?

What do you think the role of a Second Officer is?

Have you ever had a conflict on the flight deck?

How did you resolve it?

Have you ever failed to complete a task/mission?

What rules have you broken?

Yes there are not many pilots around who have not broken flight and duty times, what other rules have you broken? Come on you must have broken something?

Have you ever been asked to break the rules?
What did you do about it?

What are some of the newer destinations to which we fly?

What are the essential qualities of a Captain?

What is your greatest achievement outside aviation?

Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
What about 10 years time?

Give us an example of a mission/task when completion was essential?
What did you do to ensure its success?

Who founded the Company?
Where and when was it founded?
Who was Arthur Baird?
What destinations in the Americas do we fly?

If you were at the briefing office in Sydney and you were to fly due north for 10 hours landing in mainland China, what destination would you be flying to?

If you were doing 360 kts groundspeed, how long would it take you to travel 90nm?

What is the body of water immediately to the East of India?
What is the capital of Finland?
What is the capital of South Africa?
What is the capital of Pakistan?
What is the capital of New Zealand?
What is the capital of PNG?

Why do we use AVTUR in jet engines?

What are the dot points in the AIP regarding rules for a circling approach?

What are the dot points in the AIP regarding rules for descent below the LSALT?

What are the advantages of a swept wing aircraft?

What is the thrust output of a 737 engine?

Tell us about a time that you had to stand up for your-self.
Tell us a time you had to lead a group.

Are you bonded to your present company?
Does your company know you are here today?

A few pointers regarding your final interview:

Your interview will last between 30 minutes and 60 minutes, with usual interview lengths of about 40 minutes.

You will be told that it is a behavioural interview. What that means is up to you, but they are seeing what sort of person you are - basically determining if they want to spend 14 hours in the same cockpit as you.

You will be asked why you made some decisions and told that they are sound bad. It is up to you to justify why you did what you did and try and turn everything into a positive. Some decisions you made will be criticised, it is up to you to defend and explain why you acted the way you did.

BE HONEST with scenarios that you give. If you don\'t have any, then don\'t use them! ! If they sense that you are making things up, it will be like a red rag to a bull and they will pursue that point.

If you don\'t know something SAY SO! For example, "I don\'t know exactly when the 767 was introduced, butit was in the early 80\'s."

And of course all the usual interview stuff: Remember their names - they are conveniently written on their ASIC ID cards hanging on their jackets! Thank them at the end and use their title - ie Thank you Capt Smith.
Remember: - Don\'t talk yourself out of a job!!

RGDS fnb

A333
8th Mar 2005, 04:42
Hi franksnbeans,

Very informative post! I have a question which I'd like to ask - I saw some of the questions were related to what engines the aircraft had, what thrust, what job you're doing, etc.

Do they still ask you those type of questions if you're trying out for the Stage 1 Cadetship (Ab-Initio)? If they do, what answer should you give them if you don't know much about aeroplanes? (That's why you're going for the Ab-Inito course).

Many Thanks!

franksnbeans
8th Mar 2005, 07:14
hey A333,

I found that (rather large) list of example questions on PPRune a while ago. They apply to a DE position I believe. However, I expected to be asked some technical questions about aircraft, allbeit to a lower standard.

I was asked things about engine types on the 767 and that kind of thing. A friend of mine had an interview for the stage 1 cadetship, and was asked what the difference between the 737 700 and 800 was. He was also asked about the A380. I don't think that you are expected to know a lot of these questions, but knowing that something has winglets, or knowing a bit about a new and exciting aircraft type that you may end up flying on as an SO would show them how enthusiastic you really are.

They will probably also ask you what the direct entry requirements are, and quiz you on an expected time frame to achieve that if you were unsuccessful with the cadetship.

If it helps at all, any question I was asked that I wasn't sure about (how many wheels on a 767 for example), I said "I don't know". I remember seeing a photo on the cover of one of my flying books and counting 12 in my head, but I would have been relying on a photographic memory - that I don't have! I was just honest really.

good luck

rgds
fnb

IORRA
8th Mar 2005, 07:20
FNB's post is a good, pertinent summary of the Panel Interview process for both Cadet and Direct Entry applicants.

Cadet interview questions will be commensurate with experience, although expect questions of a technical nature pertaining to aeroplanes in the Qantas fleet. No one expects you to know the function of the 'THR' button on the 744, but an appropriate knowledge of *basic* heavy jet aerodynamics - winglets, turbofans (versus propellers), Bernoulli etc - would help significantly. Broad questions on geography, route network etc also go without saying...

What you don't need aeronautical experience to do is to know every last detail about Qantas fleet, corporate structure and general history. Questions on these areas are a quick way to eliminate the stragglers. Plenty of applicants out there can fly an aeroplane - you need to differentiate yourself from the pack by showing your enthusiasm and motivation to work for the big Q.

Best of luck.

IORRA

A333
8th Mar 2005, 07:35
Thanks for your replies guys, they're greatly appreciated!

high talker
9th Mar 2005, 08:15
Thanks Guys for the great replys!
There are a number of interview books on the market. I have access to purchasing the following if any one has used any of them which would be the best to purchase.

Ace The technical Pilot Interview
Airline Pilot Employment interview
Airline Pilot Employment test guide
Airline Pilot Interviews.

Again any help will be greatly welcomed.
HT

*Lancer*
9th Mar 2005, 11:12
The THR button has a function!? ;)

IORRA
9th Mar 2005, 22:42
Of course it does, Lancer! It stops the A/T ARM switch from sliding down the MCP! :ok:

quarter hr pack
10th Mar 2005, 04:01
Wow! Pretty clever that, I knew it had to be there for something!