PDA

View Full Version : salary negotiation

barbara30
4th Mar 2005, 06:10
Hi my husband interviewed for a QA position on the 18th of February returned on Saturday and was offered the job Wednesday. They got back this week with the remunerations Package and we didn’t think the salary was enough (36,000) and made the point (very nicely) that it would be a cut in salary after tax from his current salary and on top of that as his wife I would not be allowed to work.

Could you tell me how long they would they normaly keep you waiting before getting back to you (this is the second day) as we have read many times about how you have to play hard ball with them over money.

Thanks

Barbara

FlexibleResponse
4th Mar 2005, 11:14
I'm only guessing, but for what it is worth...

Say for example, there was one job position and there were five applicants of whom three were suitable. They would offer the job to the most suitable first. If that applicant declined due to salary, they woud then offer the job to the next most suitable and so on. If none of the suitable applicants take up the offer, then they might increase the salary and start the offer process again or they might re-advertise for new applicants or they might lower the standards required to include the previously unsuitable applicants.

Depending on the variables, this could take some time...

You could make it easy for them and yourself by telling them your minimum acceptable salary. And be prepared to walk away if they don't come to the party. The job is only worth having if the rewards outweigh the pain.

Good luck!