PDA

View Full Version : Inland Revenue

Holryn
3rd Mar 2005, 21:06
Hi,

I've just resigned from my job to undertake the final part of my training. I'm planning on spending the next five/six months or so to finalise my fATPL.

Where do I stand with regard to the Inland Revenue and my National Insurance contributions and Income Tax?

Would/should I sign-on? I'm not looking for benefits (but every little helps ;) )

Any advice gratefully received.

jamino
3rd Mar 2005, 21:35
The only part you can claim while completing is the theory,after that,as you are training,therefor not activley seeking work,you are not entitled to any benefit,but you can receive income support if you can prove you dont have any funds,but how your gona do that while most of the way through a 40k course is gona be a toughie....

Simon853
3rd Mar 2005, 22:07
That's almost the same question I was going to post. Rather than starting another thread I'll add my question here:

If I'm going abroad for a year to do an integrated CPL, do I count as a full-time student to the Inland Revenue? i.e. do I get my National Insurance paid for me?

Thanks,

Si

jamino
3rd Mar 2005, 22:19
yes if you can prove your not working...ie student visa,letter from school..

rotatrim
3rd Mar 2005, 22:32
I managed to persuade the local Council that I was a student in full-time education during 6 months ATPL groundschool - gave me an exemption from paying Council Tax.

Holryn
4th Mar 2005, 06:29
Thanks for the replies.

I'm going into the local Jobcentre today to find out if I need to do anything. I'll post here later to let you know the outcome.

Maude Charlee
4th Mar 2005, 10:20
If you are in full-time education you will be exempted from Council Tax (a letter from your FTO is usually sufficient), but I doubt you will be eligible for any state benefits - that was a dodge the government put an end to many years ago.

As for NI, you can make a payment to address any shortfalls during the time you are training and this will restore your full NI credits for any state pension - assuming you believe this will still exist when you need it. The Tax Office will usually write to you at some point to enquire why no NI payments have been received for X period of time and to invite you to make up the shortfall. Isn't that nice of them? :}

Simon853
4th Mar 2005, 12:53
A warning about letting NI contributions lapse: You only get 10 years to make it up, after which it's a permanent deficit which will effect your state pension (should there still be one..) At least, that's what the statement I got recently implied.

Si