View Full Version : Uniform Justice

the_grand_dad
3rd Mar 2005, 17:52
http://www.channel4.com/news/2005/03/week_1/03_army.html

Uniform Justice
Army

Published: 03-Mar-2005
By: Julian Rush and Girish Juneja

After fightong to be with his disabled child, a soldier is taking legal action over the way the Army investigates itself.
He had to fight to be at to his son's birth. When his son fell critically ill - again he fought to get home.
Tonight lawyers have begun an unprecedented legal action on behalf of a soldier who claims the Army bullied and harassed him - and tried to force him to leave.

The case could see the Army completely overhauling its internal complaints procedure.
The Forces are already reeling from allegations that a culture of bullying led to suicides at Deepcut training base. And - more recently - the courtmartial of soldiers accused of abusing detainees in Iraq. Now this could be a further blow to its reputation.

As Julian Rush now reports - the Army is once again under the spotlight over the way it investigates itself.

"If they don't want to see something they don’t see it. They will just railroad over something and think they can get away. Well they aren't getting away with it. Not this time." – Debbie Biddiss

Chandler Biddiss is now five. Soon after he was born he contracted meningitis and he's now severely disabled. His father, Paul, is a corporal in the Parachute Regiment. As a serving soldier he can't take part in this report.

His fight to be with his family for Chandler's birth and to get back to them when the boy fell ill is at the centre of his unprecedented legal action against the Army.
He alleges bullying and harrassment by an officer led to his wife Debbie having a mental breakdown. He alleges documents were altered to cover-up the Army's mistakes, and he claims too the Army failed to investigate his complaints properly, its internal grievance procedures dragging on for a total of four years. All claims the Army says have been thoroughly investigated and found wanting.

"We sat next to Chanlder's bed when we thought he was gonna die. All we saw was a little white coffin - that's all we saw. Where we sat next to his bed we vowed we would fight and take this all the way there. And that is what we are going to do." – Debbie Biddiss

In October 1999, Paul Biddiss was just back from Kosovo. His request his next deployment to Northern Ireland be delayed so he could look after his family while Debbie gave birth to Chandler, was agreed.

Then out of the blue, an officer - a Major Nott - told him he was to be "manning controlled" - made redundant and offered a short term contract instead.

The procedure allows the Army to sack soldiers it thinks aren't good enough to serve a full 22 years. Paul Biddiss refused to sign the papers. He thought he was a good soldier - he'd just been chosen for SAS selection.

Over the following months, he alleges, the Army repeatedly pressured him to sign.
"These efforts became increasingly intimidatory as time went by. Durting this time Mr Biddiss was having severe diff in his family life caused by the critical illnes off his son chandler, of which the army were aware." - Jocelyn Cockburn, Paul Biddiss' solicitor

The Army denies intimidation, but Paul Biddiss alleges he was then ordered to go to Northern Ireland after all because he hadn't signed. Just one day before deployment the order was cancelled. The Army says the cancellation showed proper care for his situation was demonstrated.
He was able to be at Chandler's premature birth the next day, and finally went to Northern Ireland in January 2000.
Within days, though, Chandler fell critically ill. Paul Biddiss alleges that for four days Major Nott refused to let him return to England unless he signed. The MOD says Major Nott wasn't fully aware of the situation at the time.

"They just wouldn’t allow him to come back. I was so scared, I spoke to him on the phone and I was really worried about him, he was just climbing the walls.” – Debbie Biddiss.

Shortly after, Paul Biddiss' commanding officer gave him 10 months compassionate leave and in a 2 hour interview with his CO, he complained about Major Nott's behaviour and the manning control decision.
After this interview, he alleges the CO, Colonel Kennett - now a Brigadier - produced a document that was dated to give the impression there'd been an earlier interview - as there should have been under the rules of manning control.

Channel 4 News has obtained a copy of the certificate Colonel Kennett signed. The signature is dated the 1st November 1999. But the document itself was only printed in February of the following year.

Because of the court case, Brigadier Kennett declined to be interviewed, but through the MOD he said:

"I cannot recall all of the details of Cpl. Biddiss' case because it was nearly 5 years ago. However I do remember Cpl. Biddiss faced very difficult family circumstances at the time, for which he has always had my utmost sympathy. The case has recently been reviewed again by a senior officer who was satisfied that there had been no wrong-doing on my part."

The manning control decision was eventually overturned and Paul Biddiss promoted to Corporal.

His first official complaint was rejected so he appealed to the Army Board, the last resort for soldiers.
Four years after his first complaint, the Army Board eventually concluded his allegations had no foundation and it completely exonerated Major Nott, though it did admit there had been administrative errors.

"Mr Biddiss is understandably outraged and he feels the decision is a whitewash although he was expecting it after the years of trial and tribulation. He’s lost all confidence in the Army’s ability to investigate itself.” - Jocelyn Cockburn, Paul Biddiss' solicitor

Paul Biddiss application to the High Court claims the Army Board, despite taking four years, failed to investigate his case properly. A former soldier who'd been involved in the administration of his case says his criticisms of senior officers were ignored.

"There are officers I know who have put forward evidence on behalf of Biddiss, they haven’t been spoken to at all. That clearly says to me that somebody is not investigating it properly." - Michael Vaughan, Company Clerk, 1995-2000

"We need a wholesale review of how we actually deal with complaints in the armed forces. Wherever possible there should be an independent external ability to judge that. ” Paul Keetch MP, Lib Dem Defence spokesman

An army spokesman that we spoke to has said that the army is satisfied that Cpl Biddiss’ allegations have been thoroughly investigated on a number of occasions. The latest review by a senior officer he said had now found any wrongdoing on the part of Brigadier Kennet or anyone else. The MOD says it has responded to the application for Judicial review and it will be resisted. Any further comment they say on the army’s internal procedures would be inappropriate as the matters are now before the court.

But coming on top of the criticism of the Army's investigations into bullying of recruits at Deepcut and the flaws that emerged in the evidence heard at the recent courts martial in Germany, the pressure is growing on the Army to be much more open.

MORE STORIES FROM OUR SEARCH

Dishonourable discharge 09-Aug-2004 31% relevant

Safeware
4th Mar 2005, 17:12
The redress process for all services needs re-worked.

I submitted a redress on Pay 2000 that took 3 1/2 years to resolve. At each stage a slightly different poor excuse was given, culminating in my petition to HM. I believed that at least at this stage an impartial view would be taken but the reply from the Air Force Board (the last bunch that I disagreed with) said that they had recommended HM not to uphold my complaint. Therefore, there was no impartiality! For any others considering this route, beware that going all the way can be a tortuous process and the system is still stacked against you.

If your complaint is important enough for you to think that legal action is a better course, take it as early as possible. I didn't, only because my complaint was more on a matter of principle that would only have resulted in myself (and others in the same situation) getting an element of 'back pay'.

SmilingKnifed
4th Mar 2005, 19:08
Shortly before beginning my own redress action I was advised by a senior colleague that I'd be lied to, painted as a liar or treated as stupid.

Boy was he right!

Pontius Navigator
4th Mar 2005, 19:52
Collect evidence. Tell someone early on - as a potential witness not as someone in the line management.

I was told that my line manager was a top hole bloke in whom his senior officer had every faith.

THEN I hit him with the evidence.

At least I got the bastard off my case even. I did not need to go through the redress procedure. But of course when you have a union <g>.

the_grand_dad
5th Mar 2005, 13:42
So what would be the solution to the Service redress procedure?

Should there be in independent Body involved?

The Gorilla
5th Mar 2005, 14:00
Safeware

I had a problem with Pay 2000 as well, involving reserved rights of pay. To be fair to OC Admin on my unit at the time, she went into bat very hard on behalf of those of us involved. However I decided to go down the legal route instead. It cost me a few hundred £'s but it sure rattled a lot of PMA feathers and I am convinced it helped to ensure victory in the matter.

Pontius Navigator
5th Mar 2005, 17:15
Tha Grand Dad. after years of believing that TUs were bad I have changed my mind.

Your union rep is not in your command chain although they could potentially be in the future. With the present in-house system things can be a little too cozy between the brass. Only time you might win is if the person you are complaining against is a potential target for the brass.

One problem with the service investigating itself and finding itself to blame is the matter of compensation. The only method that I can see at the moment is to get a solicitor pdq.

Maybe there is scope for a 'forces friend' legal group retained through a small subsscription by all officers. Then whenever you feel you are being hung out to dry . . .

Safeware
5th Mar 2005, 17:33
The Gorilla,

I have to say that, while our friends in Handbrake House are often the subject of criticism, this time they were fully supportive, through 5 changes of personnel. Mind you, amyone I talked to could see how unjust the situation was. I think that it was another instance where if 'they' had admitted how stupid they had been, it was another example of how poorly it had all been implemented. Mind you Wg Cdrs did ok out of it all - did anyone notice the 1p difference that meant they all went up a band?

I didn't go legal because the 'return' was only about £1k and legal fees may have taken over what I would have got back. I suspect that in your case it was worth it if it involved reserved rights.

That reminds me. Why are lawyers buried 10 ft down instead of the usual 6ft?

Because deep down they are really nice people

FJJP
5th Mar 2005, 17:42
Safeware, re: the legal fees. Surely it would have been worth it, then claiming costs - the threat of Small Claims Court might have borne fruit...? [Just to stick it to them]

BEagle
5th Mar 2005, 17:44
Uniform Justice...

A proven oxymoron.

One of these days - they'll have to keep looking over their shoulders until then (and they'll never know when it'll come to them) - certain people will assuredly receive their comeuppance.......

Interesting to note that good old Gilbert actually advertises in the RAF's version of Pravda these days!

Safeware
5th Mar 2005, 18:04
the_grand_dad

Yes, I think it should be independent. I (naiively some may say) believed that there would be a logical outcome. But as indicated by others, unless someone higher up the food chain has an axe to grind against someone you are making the complaint about, I guess chances are slim.

the_grand_dad
6th Mar 2005, 06:43
.there is a good article in the Sunday Express on the Redress policy not sure if i can find a link

But it looks like there is a big call for change in the way the services investigate them self. I think the problem Cpl Biddis had in his redress was he complained about Policy as well as some Officers if that policy is underhand as been reported the powers that be would never want to admit it if they was wrong in its use

found it would you trust this Offcier now?
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/ex_para/vpost?id=339841