PDA

View Full Version : Ardmore Flying School

207's are pigs
3rd Mar 2005, 06:44
Hello all,
Im a CPL now flying in the East Coast of the North Island and have been speaking to a new guy who is about to join us. He did all his training at AFS under the student loan course they've got.

He told me the people who work/instruct there are complete tos$#rs who think they are Gods gift to aviation. The course is a complete joke with know one really sure as to whats going on and apparently if you got on the wrong side of any of the staff, they will try and make your chances of employment further on down the track (Eagle, Air Nelson etc) a nightmare.
I think that thats a very uncool attitude to have towards your students, considering they're giving a place like AFS at least $80,000 for training.

Is any of this true?

207's are pigs:eek:

jafa in da hood
3rd Mar 2005, 08:16
Thats pritty much true.

atyourcervix73
4th Mar 2005, 10:43
Not to jump to the defense of AFS.....(as I saw plenty of their product a few years back, doing their best to bend aeroplanes..as they had not been taught to fly light a/c properly)..but you have to remember aviation is a small industry..in NZ its tiny...and as the saying goes; The toes you tread on, on the way up...could be connect to the arse you have to kiss on the way down.

I would agree AFS has its fair share of egotistical individuals..but thats the same everywhere, its just a shame the tend to flock together:}

Cypher
4th Mar 2005, 20:29
Yeah it is a uncool attitude to have.. but guess what.. not many places are any different. In saying that, I'm not saying thats right...

The best thing you can do, is learn from those w@nkers and to do your best not to emmulate them.

when you move onto the next level of your flying, like jets and turboprops, it'll all put it in perspective, and a few to$$ers around a piddly C172 won't seem that significant to you any more.. specially when you start dial-a-disaster sim training!

207's are pigs
4th Mar 2005, 23:32
Your right about NZ avaiation being so small and everyone knows what type of person you are. I guess Im just a bit shocked by people wanting to screw someone over right from the start. I did all my training at an aero club and moved of to do commercial work and never met anyone from AFS, even though Ive heard stories about the place you never know what to believe until you hear it straight from the horses mouth.
The more I hear, my best advice to someone wanting to start their training is, dont give them the satisfaction of taking all your money and treating you like just another number and 'highly quailifed C cats in there C172's' treating you like S#%T for their own benifit when there are small aero clubs around where some instructors are flying for the love of flying, not just doing it to get hours up shag off too dive big busses.
You also learn more from the older experienced buggers that hang around aero clubs smoking cigars all day.

207's are pigs

sonoface4bars
5th Mar 2005, 01:46
We have a 207 at slingair. It the most popular machine we have on the line we also have a 208 which is very similar in performance:suspect:

207 command respect

Massey1Bravo
5th Mar 2005, 01:57
207AP,

Which aero club in the Auckland area do you recommend?

207's are pigs
5th Mar 2005, 02:38
I must admit, i havent done a hell of a lot of flying in Auckland, just a few burning holes in the sky sessions and several charters.
I've got a mate who is flying ATR's who did his training at North Shore, but the only times ive been there are for nights no the booze, but they seem like a good bunch.
The nicest and most easy going bunch ive met are the staff at Wakatipu Aero Club in Queenstown. I did some mountain flying a few years ago and would recommend it to everyone, they're really professional.

belowMDA
5th Mar 2005, 23:37
dude, re your original post I don't think they have any influence at NSN. Might have a little at EAG as that's where people with little or no ATOs will go if anywhere. and to be honest I think any dick head that said they would harm your career would get weeded out of the industry pretty quick.

shovel
7th Mar 2005, 07:45
207 Eke to where?? If you are really from Eketahuna I thought you should be able to spell it correctly.

4 bars 207s DEMAND respect.

On a more serious note there will be plenty of plonkers out there all too willing to try and screw your career. My advice is a bit like flying really, try and fly in clear air and get through any turbulence as quickly as possible if you can't avoid it.

atyourcervix73
7th Mar 2005, 11:40
sonoface4bars

Come on..a 207 similar in perf to a 208?...I have to argue with that comment, having around 1000hrs in each machine (so Ive got some idea, but not to sound demeaning)....the 208/208B is in another league.

Dear oh dear :hmm:

back to subject...shame on me for thread creep!

dudduddud
11th Mar 2005, 06:26
I'd ask myself "how far can you throw someone when they are prepared to badmouth their last organisation to a prospective employer?"

Carnegie Wah
12th Mar 2005, 22:36
Re: original Post
Sounds to me young fella that you have had a bit of a rough time at AFS. There will always be the Jocks who probably had a rough time when they started. Don’t be so quick to slag off AFS though, I have checked a number of pilots that have come through there in the last 8 years and can't find to much fault with their training, WS might be an old fart like myself but he is an extremely experienced instructor. My advice to you is put your head down, do the hard yards and pop out the other end. Don't be so quick to get on this sight and start having stabs at people, after reading what you have written I wouldn't be so quick to employ you, why you might get a bit disgruntled with me one day if things don't go your way and slag me off!
Food for thought, CW.

207's are pigs
13th Mar 2005, 07:45
Are you refering to me?
It would have been rather tough for me to have a hard time at AFS considering I never went there, i even trained on a different island.

The reason I put this post up was that I was just a bit shocked about the stories I've been told, thats why I asked if any of this was true? (last line on my first post) Ive got no idea! I guess that as I trained at a small aero club, we were more like a family.

I know W.S. is very experienced, I dont think students at AFS realise how lucky they are as all the experience is being sucked out GA and will continue to do so for a while yet.

I dont usually get disgruntled, lifes to short for it
:ok:

Happy Flying