PDA

View Full Version : Flying to/from Russia (UUDD)

Flaps45
3rd Mar 2005, 00:36
Please help to gather any navigational info to prepare to fly in and out Domodedovo airport.

I guess they use meters QFE, not QNH - will they give me a QNH alt. setting on request?
What's transition level - on the charts it says "by ATC"?
Is on the ATIS alt. setting in MM or hPa?

Do the controllers give vectors to intercept ILS's or do you have to fly full arrival and someone told me, to report all turns and alt. changes??!!

Are the controllers hard to understand?

What are the common mistakes made by them or by foreign pilots flying in CIS airspace?

Thanks

TopBunk
3rd Mar 2005, 09:25
From memory (been there about 5 times in last year).

1. Above transition you will fly FL in metres on 1013/std. Below metres QFE.

[We (BA) actually have special conversion pages for each QFE airfield that translate straight from the cleared QFE/metres to QNH/altitude. ie they clear you to 600metres QFE we descend to 2300ft QNH - for example only - which allows foe the elevation of the individual airfied. This allows us also to retain the use of the EGPWS system, which doesn't work on QFE in our aircraft].

2. On the ATIS it gives both mm Hg and HPa for QFE, I think also QNH. In any case your charts should tell you the airfield elevation expressed in HPa/mB, so QNH can be derived by adding this value to QFE. I recommend you set this value on your standby altimeter.

3. Transition level 'by ATC'. I wouldn't worry too much, they will be clear in their instructions when they are desending you to a height rather than a flight level.

4. Expect to follow the standard arrival with many frequency changes and stepped descent. Descend when cleared, even if early and below ideal profile. Expect radar vectors when downwind and a low platform height/altitude from which to intercept ILS.

5. You may not be given a final vector to intercept the ILS when on a base heading. You must be prepared to establish yourself.

6. You may need to report gear down to receive landing clearance - the runways are quite rough!

7. The controllers English is ok so long as you follow standard phraseology.

8. The Moscow city is a prohibited zone, you will not be allowed short cuts overhead.

9. The Moscow area has many airfields with crossing traffic, hence the stepped descents. The Russian traffic transponders are not always compatible with TCAS so keep your eyes open!

I'm sure others will come up with other points, in summary, it's not too difficult, just be prepared.

HTH

Noak
4th Mar 2005, 10:03
Might be better to just use one thread about this topic.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=165560