PDA

View Full Version : What now for late starter?

fullrich
2nd Mar 2005, 17:59
I am 37 years young and flying for a few years now.I have 300TT JAR PPL(A) night,FAA CPL/IR and up to now have never considered myself as a wanabee ATPL beacause of my age.I have never borrowed a penny for my flying and have a reasonable well paid Job ,smallish mortgage etc and I understand the process for converting the above to a ''useful JAA fatpl'. The biggest hurdle for me would be the 14 exams but that aside I am wondering if I would be better off cutting my costs here and now and enjoy as I do my flying at weekends etc.??
I would like to hear from someone who was in a similar situation to me and took the chance or not.

Dan 98
2nd Mar 2005, 18:08
Hi,
I'm currently doing the ATPL's with Bristol and am 31 in May of this year. By the time I finish ie. CPL / IR etc.. I will be 32 and wont have the flying experience you have currently. If you really want to do it I would say go for it, sounds like you're in a position to maybe stop work and do it quickly, but I'm sure there must be people of a similar age who are now flying. You know what they say, it's never too late!!
All the best with whatever you decide.

Dan

HandspringGuy
2nd Mar 2005, 18:21
It is a big risk,

When I was in your position I asked myself which I would most regret: leaving a high-paying job with security or reaching 50 and thinking 'What if?'

I decided to go for it. Financially it was very tough, no income, lots of hidden costs....but I followed my dream. Most people never get that opportunity.

HG :ok:

GusHoneybun
2nd Mar 2005, 20:14
In your situation I would sign up for a distance learning course to tackle the ATPL's. Given a goal, it is much easier to motivate yourself and the first step is always the hardest. The beauty of Distance Learning is that you don't need to stop working and you can study at your own pace.
Sure, it's not for everybody and If you do find the level of work too much and cannot continue, you'll lose a grand of your hard earned wedge. At least you can say to yourself that you gave it a shot. Once you get the first set of exams in the bag, you suddenly start tobelieve that it is do-able......

Don't worry about the age thing either. Mucho threads on this subject. Suggest you make a large cuppa splosh and trawl through the search function.

Good Luck.

7006 fan
2nd Mar 2005, 21:06
Has anyone any knowledge/experience of, I think it is, Concord XXI. A Canadian company offering CPL on non-EU aircraft, the rates are incredible non-EU standard aircraft (Il76 etc) and the location of the training base but...CPL for under £20k plus conversion fees!?! Am I dreaming? Not sure after that Flight International article 6 odd months ago!?

jamino
2nd Mar 2005, 21:13
Im much the same m8 im 35, but havnt started the commercial side as yet but am soon,im planing on doing it all while working>fATPL via the modular route with distance learning for the theory, then taking FIC to get some decent hours,all this can be done while still working,im predicting up to 3+ years to get it all done with decent hours. good luck m8..

UnderneathTheRadar
2nd Mar 2005, 21:55
Hey Rich,

For a great story of the pleasure and the pain, see this thread - it's from the sticky at the top of this forum.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6911

I too am an old fart looking to convert my ppl (but I'm not as much an old fart as you!). Good luck!

UTR.

GulfStreamV
3rd Mar 2005, 11:08
FullRich,

Well I'm 39 this year - got about 200TT ME/Night/IMC - and am about 1 month into the distance learning with the ATPL's (Bristol)

Me...I'm doing it primarily to start my IR next year hopefully - People may say "why do the ATPL's and not a lower level of exams" - but at least it gives me options in the future -

While I'm not that attracted to flying 747's etc - flying bizjets/Turbo props on contract is something that does appeal to me - but not overly concerned if I achive that or not - that may of course change! :D

Personally I have a good job, that pays very very well - its difficult to justify giving that up on a financial basis to make a career change. But I fully understand that its not always a financial decision that drives the change in other people.

There are quite a few stories on here & elsewhere of people going off post 35/40 for complete flying career changes. So who knows.

But doing the ATPL's does at least give you options...and thats what suits me at the moment. Go for it - but still do your day job for the moment anyway!:D

GV

jamino
3rd Mar 2005, 21:51
im similar gulf...i earn a good wage and with what i am told about entry level pay, would have to take quite a decrease , at least at first,its a tough one definately...