PDA

View Full Version : Ppl Usa

oliverpollard
2nd Mar 2005, 14:58
Hi
I am intending to go to Naples to complete my PPL in June and wondered if anyone had been there to inform me what the accomodation is like. I am inclined towards School Housing but wanted to know if it was ok (as it is the most basic one). As I am going for a month is this best or is the Wessley Hall recommended.

With regards to the social environment - is it quite social there? Evenings etc.

Finally with regard to the weather - when it is clear is it good flying conditions. I know there is a tendancy for storms most days - but when it is clear are conditions favourable eg wind etc.

Thanks very much

Oli

DaveySimon
2nd Mar 2005, 17:16
Oli,

I just finished my commercial FAA ratings at Flight Safety. FS is on the East Coast of Florida so I couldn't tell you about the details of the school around Naples. I only flew in there once on a cross country. I can tell you what Florida is like in June. My classmates and I came up with the term "swamp a*s" to describe how your rear end felt after being in a Piper Cadet for 3 hours when the temperature dew point were hovering around 35 degrees C. I want to know which sadisic jerk at Piper decided to only put one door on the Cadet. The crazy thing about Florida is the smell. When you decend after being at altitude (thank god its cooler at 5000ft) you notice the swamp gas smell after you get through 1800 feet. Good luck dont bring any warm clothing.

Davey

flighttime2.0
2nd Mar 2005, 17:51
Olliverpollard

If you are going for one month only the Wellesley Inn hotel is you better option , they have their cheap rates at that time of the year $ 30 a night . The Wellesley is close to all the bars and restaurants and it has a little pool plus the use of a gym near the flight school if you are into that kind of thing .

Naples is not a very sociable place for young people , it is like a retirement town full of white heads .
There are one or two good bars on a Saturday night like Paddy Murphys .

The flying conditions are fantastic . Bare in mind it is hurricane season in june so you might miss out on a few days flying because of that but all in all if you can stick the heat the weather is perfect .

I would certainly advise you to budget for a car hire while there . Naples is a huge place and there is no public transport , you really need a car or else be prepared to do a lot of sweating on your $70 bike from k-mart . Flighttime .

CAT3C AUTOLAND
2nd Mar 2005, 18:25
What about this, am I seeing double, must have had too many beers? Not sure why I bothered?

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=162321

VisaGeeza
3rd Mar 2005, 03:48
If you check out young Oliver's posting history, I think you may speculate that it is he who has had too many beers!;) A time waster methinks!:*

DaveySimon
3rd Mar 2005, 08:35
Damn,

I feel like a sucker

flighttime2.0
3rd Mar 2005, 15:54
Davy

Could have saved ourselves a bit of typing there !!!!!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
4th Mar 2005, 22:46
Oh well chaps, at least we had good intentions :D

Keygrip
5th Mar 2005, 14:45
Maybe now you'll understand why I get so p***ed at duplicate postings.

I've fallen for it, too - you try to help, you spend yonks sat in front of the computer trying to explain something (possibly in laymans terms) and then find that it's already been answered somewhere else.

This case, however, is even more pathetic - resurrecting something that you've already done and then cut/paste the same question - didn't even spend the time to re-write it.

scroggs
5th Mar 2005, 18:26
Perhaps, Oliver, you'd like to explain why you have posted this question twice a month apart - when you've already had all the answers you need?

This thread wastes the time of all of us - mods and Ppruners.

Scroggs