PDA

View Full Version : CX Cargo Trips

iahtexan747400
1st Mar 2005, 21:50
If I was based in LAX, ORD, or JFK, then what would be a typical trip consist of? Where should I expect to have overnights at? Thanks for any info. I have my 1st interview in April and trying to research as much as possible. :ok:

tamalai
2nd Mar 2005, 00:22
Ever been to Anchorage ????

iahtexan747400
2nd Mar 2005, 00:52
Nope, never been...please do tell...;)

FYI
2nd Mar 2005, 23:59
LAX based guys fly through Vancouver to Anchorage, or direct to ANC or sometimes through SFO to ANC. You'll then spend a day (or 2-3) in ANC before heading to HKG. From there, you will generally spend a day or 2 before heading back to ANC, further day and then back to LAX.
ORD based guys will fly direct to ANC, and the rest is as above except you'll finish flying back to ORD or JFK. You will also probably start quite a few of your patterns out of JFK and then fly JFK-ORD-ANC through the night.
JFK based will do JFK-ORD-ANC etc.

Plenty of variables, but that is the basic idea.

Bottom line is......lots of time in ANC and HKG.
Patterns can be as quick as 5 days or sometimes blow out to 10-11 days depending on whether your roster has you spending lots of time on the gnd in either ANC or HKG (time in HKG can be for sims, courses or just nothing), and whether you do a couple hops between ANC and HKG before heading home.

petitfromage
3rd Mar 2005, 01:50
But on the plus side in ANC there is:

Humpys,
F Street Station,
ABC,
Chilkoot Charlies and,
a fantastic REI Sports (at tax-free prices)

Pickle14
3rd Mar 2005, 04:20
I heard from someone (like third hand info) that the ORD base was full, and if you get hired for USA based freighters that only the other 3 (JFK, LAX, ANC) will be available for bid. Anyone else have any info on that??

One question: if you are a pilot with Cathay, can you jumpseat on a Cathay flight? Say, for instance, you live in Chicago but are based in ANC, can you just hop on the freighter and ride it up there??

Penske
3rd Mar 2005, 16:20
I know of several pilots waiting to swap for a Chicago base, but have been told it is not going to happen for some time. I suspect with Dallas and Altanta flying coming this year, there might be an overall evalualtion as to crew bases.

You cannot jumpseat on the freighter in the traditional sense. You can, however, arrange to stay on the airplane in certain circumstances if it continues on to somewhere you want to end up. For example, if you operate ANC-JFK, and the airplane continues on to ORD, you can arrange to stay on as a passenger to ORD provided it is approved by crew control. You cannot however, show up in JFK on a day off, and hop a ride to ORD.

Pickle14
4th Mar 2005, 04:54
Penske:

Thank you for the answers. Neither were what I was hoping for, but thanks!!!

AAIGUY
4th Mar 2005, 21:29
We (Atlanta) operate some US routes for CX. Told the other day that we would be adding Dallas and Atlanta to JFK/ORD/LAX shortly.

ANC is ok. Everthing being tax free is is nice too.

LONG_TAF
8th Mar 2005, 17:10
Hi,

Do you guys know any "regular" flight routes which CX Cargo is flying out of London and Frankfurt? and which base do they have the most amount of free FO slots at the moment? Thanks.

L_T