PDA

View Full Version : 777 question following MAN

visioncat
1st Mar 2005, 13:26
Hi there,

I'm a terrified flier, but I still fly every few weeks because I have to. I nearly always fly on CO on their 777s. I'll next be flying on one this weekend. I deal with my fear by trying to understand as much as I can about flying and the aircrafts, and I know how absolutely unlikely I am to come a cropper on any flight in my lifetime.

However, I have just read about the PIA incident at Manchester and it's panicking me! I know the cause has not yet been determined, but the BBC website made mention of the type of grease being used on the undercarriage and brakes and that PIA had been using the wrong kind, though they've apparently since changed.

CO is a great airline (IMHO), but how can I be sure they're using the right kind of grease, how can I be sure that they're removing excess grease like Boeing suggested in 2001 (also from the BBC website).

I know I'm being neurotic about this, but any reassurance/information would be great as I'm really worried!

Thanks!

TURIN
1st Mar 2005, 21:28
Er... when was the last time you read of a wheel brake fire on a CO B777?
That should answer your question.

As a Licensed Aircraft Engineer of nearly 1/4 of a century experience in hangar and line work I have only personally experienced a brake fire once.

And yes it was on a PIA B777 last year.:ok:

visioncat
1st Mar 2005, 22:26
Fair enough! :D I hear where you're coming from, I know I'm talking myself into a state on this, but there's always a first time I suppose! Thanks for your reassurance - once in 25 years is not bad going!