PDA

View Full Version : Licence validation for flying in the US.. expired medical?

ChocksAwayUK
28th Feb 2005, 17:47
Hi -

I'm just trying to navigate the bureaucracy to enable me to hour build in the states on my UK PPL. It seems I have to fill in an FAA form and a CAA form. The FAA form asks about class of medical and whether it's up to date (CAA form only concerned with bank details obv.).. so my question:

Does a lapsed medical equal instant refusal? Mine expired a month or so ago and i'd rather not renew until just before I'm about to start flying again.

Any thoughts, knowledge or experience on the matter?

Blinkz
28th Feb 2005, 18:10
As far as I know the licence validation is totally dependant on your current licence/medical. If you medical isn't valid then neither is your licence and so the FAA won't allow you to fly with an FAA validation.

Keygrip
28th Feb 2005, 20:07
I don't quite follow your question here - you are well aware (as a licensed pilot) that you must have a valid medical to fly.

So are you asking if you can fly with a foreign licence but with an FAA medical?? If that's the case my immediate answer (without reading the small print) would be "Yes!" - as Part 61 of the FAR's (the bit that allows you to valid a licence for use in Federal airspace) does say that EITHER an FAA or a current foreign medical is required.

So - an interesting 'paradox' with the small print. Does not having a current foreign licence invalidate your FAA "licence issued on the basis of" as your foreign licence is not usable without that medical - or does Part 61 suggest that the FAA will accept your "not revoked or suspended foreign licence" if supported by an FAA medical.

That argument could go through the courts for years if you have an "incident".

Ipresume you're NOT asking "Can you fly on an FAA validation without having any kind of current medical what-so-ever?".

ChocksAwayUK
1st Mar 2005, 06:14
Thanks all for the helpful advice.

Pressman, I didn't know that. Is a lapsed Class 1 valid as a Class 2 for certain period of time then? Obviously it won't be for ever.

Keygrip, thanks but perhaps I should have been more clear. Of course I'd have no intention to fly without a medical. I'd intend to have a UK PPL and UK medical when I fly. I'm wondering whether it is advisable to apply for validation with a lapsed medical with the intention of getting it renewed before I fly (it is advised that validation is applied for 3months before intended flying). I gather there is another stage to validation - the interview at an FSDO office - perhaps the now renewed medical certificate could be presented here even if it had lapsed at the time of application. Or would a lapsed medical on the initial FAA form result in an instant red REFUSED stamp?

This is all partly due to the fact that i need validation asap as i intend to fly in th US in May and the fact that I don't really have time to renew my medical in the next month or so.

VisaGeeza
1st Mar 2005, 07:10
You don't need a current medical to apply for (or hold) a US airmans certificate.

However, if you hold a UK PPL (or JAA) license, you must have a current UK medical cert. to fly in the USA. The simple fact is that your US airmans ticket is only valid if your UK license is valid. As keygrip says "That argument could go through the courts for years if you have an "incident". And guess who is going to pay for your legal costs!

A US licence is: (reading from the back of mine) "issued on basis of and valid only when accompanied by United Kingdom pilot licence number xxxxxxxxxxxxx All limitations and restrictions on the United Kingdom pilot licence apply" One of the limitations and restrictions of a UK pilot licence is that you need a current UK class 1 or 2 medical for it to be valid.

ChocksAwayUK
1st Mar 2005, 10:41
Thanks Visageez.. and Keygrip, I've just realised you almost did know where I was coming from so your post did actually answer my query :D

Will apply right away then. :ok:

Keygrip
1st Mar 2005, 11:45
SLIGHTLY off topic, but I often work with one of the guys who stands at the desk at Orlando FSDO issuing these FAA validations.

He has told me on numerous occassions (and so has his boss) that the FAA deem a foreign licence to be VALID providing it is still within date and has not been suspended or revoked.

That's all they care about. Currency of class ratings and medicals etc. - they don't give a damn.

I think their view is that the Flight Review (the old "BFR") and either an FAA or foreign medical is sufficient to allow you to fly their aircraft, in their airspace.

I personally think that this is incorrect and go along with the "issued on basis of and valid only when accompanied by United Kingdom pilot licence number xxxxxxxxxxxxx All limitations and restrictions on the United Kingdom pilot licence apply".

One day somebody will have an incident, it will go to court, and your grandchildren will be able to post the answer to www.ppruneintergalactic.com direct from the Pentium XII chip inserted in their brain.

Keygrip
1st Mar 2005, 14:14
A bit I forgot to add: As a JAA Flight Examiner authorised to conduct renewal/revalidation flights for the JAA Instrument Rating, I am required to hold a full JAA Instrument Rating. The CAA say that for my I/R to be valid for the purpose of examining, I must hold a JAA Class 1 medical.

So whilst living and working solely within the United States I have to have FAA ATP, I/R and medical kept current and JAA ATPL, I/R, all class ratings, instructor ratings, examiner ratings and class 1 medical all current

ChocksAwayUK
6th Mar 2005, 18:19
Instead of clogging up the board with a new thread I thought i should ask this here:

Where's the most convenient FSDO office for NAC? (i'm not actually certain i'm going to NAC yet but this seems more likely than others.

I can see Miami and Fort Lauderdale are reasonably nearby, any others? Which would be the most convenient one to get to using public transport (if this is possible)?