PDA

View Full Version : QF retirement age

junior_man
28th Feb 2005, 12:51
Just needed to know what the retirement age is at Qantas.
Thanks,
Junior Man

Ang737
28th Feb 2005, 20:35
60 i believe as per ICAO standard

EPIRB
1st Mar 2005, 01:08
There is none. You just have to be able to keep your medical current.

Animalclub
1st Mar 2005, 01:33
I understand that there is no retirement age, but your flying is restricted in some, if not all, foreign countries due to that country's laws.

tinpis
1st Mar 2005, 01:52
Used to be the day you joined

:rolleyes:

Keg
1st Mar 2005, 13:08
Currently the only aircraft you can fly as pilot in command over the age of 60 is the 737 and 767. On the 767 you are told to bid 'wisely' as any flying that you get allocated to destinations where you aren't allowed to go (basically anywhere north of Australia as the Tasman is OK) is dropped unpaid.

Classic, 744 and A330 all require you to be off the aeroplane at age 60.

Dehavillanddriver
1st Mar 2005, 20:20
Can you bid backwards?

Can a 74 skipper turn 60 and bid back to the 73 or 76 in order to keep working and keep paying the multiple ex wives?

Mind you I reckon that bidding back to the 73 after a career on the long haul fleet would just about kill you anyway - 4-5 sectors a day, 30-45 minute turns etc!

Having said that though statistically many pilots fall off the perch within a year or two of retiring so going back to the domestic fleet may be a life enhancing move!

Keg
1st Mar 2005, 21:36
G'day DHD,
Yes you can bid back but only in rank- IE, you can't go from Captain B744 to F/O 744. We have a number of over 60 blokes on the 767 currently. It is a source of some aggro as the perception is that they cherry pick the best of the domestic flying. No one is against them coming back because there isn't a legal leg to stand on. The general feeling though is that considering that 'bidding' is an agreement between the pilot group and the company, that the bidding rights of those who return from the other fleets should be 'altered'.

Personally I'm over that one now. There are more important matters ahead of us at the moment!

Dehavillanddriver
1st Mar 2005, 22:31
Thanks Keg,

Personally I think I would retire and enjoy myself, but that is often easier said than done

grrowler
2nd Mar 2005, 02:34
The retirement age where I work seems to be about 120!! ;) Just jokin' caps!

jangerlingjangerling
4th Mar 2005, 04:46
Dear Keg from what I understand it is quite possible for an "over 60" on the 400 to either take a domestic position or take a demotion to F/O but then you retire with F/O and not CPT privileges. Which to some is not option.

bonvol
4th Mar 2005, 08:14
Career path of a Qantas pilot.

Circumstances slightly altered to not bear any resemblance to any person living or dead!

30 years Join Company. World is your Oyster

31 years Buy Flash Car, House and lotsa toys. Get over that GA/Military poverty feeling.

32 years Divorce boring first wife
Pay Child support and maintainance whilst looking for second wife
Drink lots of beer and screw around whilst looking for second wife

33 years Repeat as above for a few more years

36 years Marry young spunky 25 year old virgin hostie

37 years Buy another house. Gave first one to wife 1

38 years Give in to second wife to have more kids. Father again

39years Now a Captain. Hooray! Upgrade house and buy boat and flasher cars.

42 years Wife 2 runs off with wealthy merchant banker but still wants share of house (100%)

43 years Settle with wife and resolve to stay away from women forever. Seek appointment as Check Captain to have something to do. Move into 2 Bed Apartment.

50 years Meet sexy singer on a trip. She loves you and says you very “beeeg”

51 years Marry sexy singer. Buy big house, boat and upgrade cars.

52 years Sexy singer wants kids (not again). Resolve to get vasectomy.

54 years Try to talk wife out of kids but hey presto she’s pregnant. Says got sick after taking pill. Accident, sorry, wont happen again.

55 years Father of triplets

56 years Wife wants very big house, bigger boat and very flash cars. Give in.

57 years Make rash investments to try and have enough money for retirement.

59 Years Lose money on rash investments and get audited by tax department.

60 Years Wife three says you too old and no fun. Leaves. Takes most of your assets

61 Years Now on 76 and living in 1 bedroom company title flat at Macquarie Fields

65 Years Lose medical and get job as sim instructor. Look forward to years of getting up at 1AM.

70 years Alarm clock goes off at 1 AM. Have heart attack and die.

Happy at last!

boocs
4th Mar 2005, 13:04
Exquisite bonvol!!

I just wonder how close to the truth your comments may be.....

Keg
4th Mar 2005, 21:45
Janger, your first comment was essentially what I confirmed. Over 60s can return to the domestic fleet as a Captain. Whether they can stay as F/Os on the international fleet has never been tested. There was one slot allocated to do that in the 04/05 training year but it wasn't taken up as far as I know. The rumours suggest that the company said no. I'm not sure on the accuracy of that statement but I know that the Captain concerned does not appear on the F/O seniorority list for the 744.

We do currently have over 60 F/Os on the 744 although they are not guys who had a command and then have bid back to being an F/O.

As to the retiring with privilieges, I'm not sure of how the superannuation system for the guys currently approaching 60 works. I wouldn't discount it as a possibility.

The Enema Bandit
5th Mar 2005, 01:27
Bonvol, that's the funniest thing I've ever seen on PPRUNE. I pissed myself.

BLO MOI
7th Mar 2005, 10:45
brilliant bon vol!!!!

Chimbu chuckles
7th Mar 2005, 14:49
Very excellent Bonvol!!!

Once divorced and NEVER AGAIN will I marry. A father of one wonderfull girl and any women who mentions marriage and children gets shown the door...pronto.

And no I am not joking!!!

Chuckles.

bonvol
7th Mar 2005, 20:35
Ah well, in these troubled times a laugh may be all we have left soon in QF. Better add "become alcoholic" to the career path :E

boocs
8th Mar 2005, 11:58
Well bonvol.....

Your suggestion, but for one who is so in touch with these "pilot ways of life", I for one would fully relish your thoughts to be posted here on becoming an alcoholic.

Not that I enjoy a drink that is...........................................

mong`s
7th Apr 2005, 13:09
Bonvol, sad thing is HOW TRUE IS THAT?