PDA

View Full Version : Seaplane Rating Vancouver Island

Abeam MCT
27th Feb 2005, 23:09
I am aware that this has already been covered previously on other threads, but given how quickly the situation changes (especially regards seaplane ops in BC), I hope you can help update me.

I am planning to go to Vancouver Island for the Transport Canada 7hr seaplane rating during last week in April (just for fun - off the back of a work trip to Seattle via YVR).
There appear to be only two schools offering the Transport Canada 7hr seaplane rating, Parallel Aviation and Ocean Air.
FWIW the Ocean Air website did not appear as informative in comparison, seemed much more suited to the CPL 50 hrs career seaplane pilot, definitely biased against the leisure market ie pilots pursuing a TC 7 hr rating.
Is Parallel Aviation the best choice? Are there other recommended schools out there but with a lower web profile?
I have no plans to fly floatplanes solo afterwards (short of a large lottery win to buy a/c :D ), I am aware of the self-fly hire solo restrictions due insurance issues, I have no probs with that. This is to solely to fulfil a personal ambition.
I only have 80hrs TT as PPL, will this probably mean that I will need a lot more than 7hrs to get the rating? (like the JAR PPL averages at 60hrs+ not 45hr)

I am aware that I will need to validate my JAR PPL/medical for a Canadian temp limited licence obtainable from TC's Victoria office, hopefully no probs with that.

I could have considered Lake Union/Seattle for seaplane rating but did not due:
i) scenery
ii) no C172 floatplanes available, cost of SES etc
iii) I have read great things about Canadian pilot training (and solo T&G's to obtain rating unlike USA)

However is the wx really poor around the Coastal Mountains in April? I understand that the fog can come down quickly on Vancouver Island at that time of year? :}

I would appreciate any feedback/advice you can offer.

Many Thanks, Best Regards
Abeam MCT (tyro ppruner)

Chuck Ellsworth
28th Feb 2005, 01:35
Ocean Air has working West Coast pilots doing the training, they are the best choice.

Your quote :

" iii) I have read great things about Canadian pilot training (and solo T&G's to obtain rating unlike USA) "

............................................................ .....................

Solo T&G's are probably the biggest draw back to training in Canada as it has driven up the cost of training due to excessive insurance charges.

Transport Canada has to many idiots sitting in cubicles dreaming up these goofy requirements and the five solo take off requirement is typical of the mentality that we have here working for the regulator. This requirement adds no benefit to your training, in fact it denies you the dual training for those circuits.

If you decide to fly with Ocean tell them Chuck Ellsworth recommended them. :ok:

eight iron special
28th Feb 2005, 16:44
There's also Pacific Wings, in Sechelt.

http://www.pwairlines.com/

Abeam MCT
3rd Mar 2005, 21:38
Thanks for your replies, given me something to think about...

altiplano
19th Mar 2005, 17:50
I would stay in the Lower Mainland and contact Fort Langley Air. Dave Hamel is a great guy and I have never met a finer instructor. He has been teaching float flying for something like 30 or 40 years. The flying is very scenic too cutting up the Harrison River from the Fraser low level and working on Harrison Lake...

I learnt more about flying from my 7 hours with Dave than I did from any other instructor I have had...

The plane is a C-180 and flys well. I heard that they may also have a Super Cub now too...