PDA

View Full Version : Pilatus PC6 rating

papazulu
27th Feb 2005, 22:22
Hello everybody!

Can anyone give an advice on where to get a rating for the PC6 Porter for cheaper than Swizerland. After a brief experience on the plane (I flew it for three hours before the CAA stopped the course for political reasons) I believe that is pointless to pay 9000+ euros to Pilatus for the rating: they do it the best way, form sure, but I cannot afford it!

Thank to all porter drivers that can help!

PZ:ok:

PorcoRosso
28th Feb 2005, 00:53
9000 Euros for a PC6 Type rating !!!!!

That's more than for a Kingair (2 PT-6's )

I would suggest you try to find a Paraclub or association.
In France, they tend to train their pilot on the Airfield, in a matter of days .
Maybe spip could bring some info ?

flyingdog
28th Feb 2005, 12:17
you should try to contact mr Christophe Destrigneville in France ... I don't have his details but I know he flies as Captain for Airlinair ... he's CRI/CRE and knows the PC6 very well.

spip
28th Feb 2005, 15:53
Salut!

In France, the class rating is at around 5000 Euros (5 to 15 hrs depending on your previous experience: turboprop, tailwheel)
you should find a paraclub where you will do the rating and after fly for them. Some of them will pay the training if you work for them.
The french PC6 instructors do not train pilots who are not sure to fly the plane regularly after the training because it is a "special" aircraft. My instructor says that we are operational after around 200 hrs on type (depending of your previous experience) (that means around 800-1000 take-off and landings) and that pilots who don't fly it for several months will be dangerous. And this is what the owners say also.
But it's a great plane, really!
I've just started the season and I do not have internet at home so please wait for the answers...
this morning: -24°C at FL140...

papazulu
1st Mar 2005, 21:00
Spip & C.....

Thank you very much for the help. Great as you can epect it from Pilo's drivers. I know it's great to fly, as I had a (now) sweet and bitter taste of 3 hrs last June. Sadly our hopless CAA didn't approved the course and now we are stuck. Lucky us the Dropzone guy doesn't want money for flight-time till the rating is gained! Are you confident there are centers in France willing to rate and keep a foreign pilot for a wile on the porter? can anyone give directions? I'll wait for more infos from anyone who can help.

happy lifts

PZ:ok:

Treetopflyer
2nd Mar 2005, 10:23
Maybe you can try to call these guys for a quote, as well:

JAR PC-6 Class Rating - Since 21-July-2004 Gateway GbR, of Ganderkesee, Germany is a official training center for PC-6 Class Rating according JAR rules (30320-78 NIOL). Training will be mainly at Skydive Westerwald at Breitscheid EDGB. For more information please contact: Joachim Biskup, [email protected]

-- TTF ;)

papazulu
2nd Mar 2005, 22:14
Hi treetopflyer...

I already tried to contact that guy in Germany (pc6.com is a old friend of mine...) but unsuccesfully. he didn't reply twice to my mails. Maybe it has changed email address. do you know any website of them?

By the way:do you fly this type in Africa?

Happy landings

PZ :ok:

Treetopflyer
3rd Mar 2005, 15:20
Nope, my friend... Never flown a PC6 in my life (even though I would like to).

I actually got that German guy's contact by chance while surfing on the web, and remembered your post, that's it.

Good luck to ya.

spip
7th Mar 2005, 18:31
Papazulu
If you want to fly it in a french skydive center, you will have to be fluent in french. If they pay the training, they will want you to stay for some time or do xxx hours or xxx sticks (negociate that!).
There is no training school in France, the instructor will train you on the center's Pil.
You can also try in Spain and Italy, they have several Porters.

If you have an opportunity, take-it!!!!!!

fraf
19th Mar 2005, 14:39
All rite
I personally am CRI on the beast. It cost about 1250€ for a 6hrs trng in flite + PC6 renting. then havinig a CRE coming from France would be no problem; I believe they 'charge' 300 for the capacity to drop + expenses to come for testing. You could do it near Madrid where I am gonna do a few trng (6 Spanish pilots). True, where I started and usually fly, in F., it's free as long as u stay as the pilot for the DZ.
For 'employment' (no contract normally), u should know there are 3 times more pilots than seats in F, the very first country for PC6! Still, DZ never agreeing w/ pilot 'pay' (some sort of illegal compensation indeed) still train newer pilots. What has been said is widely true on the other hand that DZ usual CRI tend to train if u fly it thenafter. that's a discussion and debate ongoing betw. us (French Pilatus instructors). But exceptions exist (too many, that is 1-3 DZ kinda train plenty of useless or/and dangerous pilots).

Voila

U can connect w/ me if neede even though I don't except starting to train pilots before a few wks.

papazulu
11th Apr 2005, 19:51
Fraf...

Thanx a lot for the hints but, maybe...I have got the best solutions. I have the man that can do it for me and, guess what, he's a close friend of mine!!! I might be able to ride the beast for training and pay it almost peanuts. It will take longer than Stans or other FTOs but is gonna be very professional since the guy is former Pilatus and Zimex pilot. Hopefully I'll be done before the season ends. Looking for jobs and boogies anywhere, then!

Please keep in touch and give news whenever looking for committed pilots.

PZ :ok: