PDA

View Full Version : Student Exchange to Britain?

Boeing4ever
26th Feb 2005, 13:09
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, so moderators feel free to move this thread..

Hello,

I am 17 years old and live in northern Italy, where I'm currently learning to fly gliders (the first step to my dream of becomeing a professional pilot!).

I'm trying to make up my mind about whether to spend a school year in the UK or Ireland as part of a student exchange program. The reason this has to do with aviation is that I don't know what is more important in a young pilot's cv: time spent flying gliders/motor gliders or having participated in a student exchange (signalising flexibility and ability to adapt). :confused: I know that both could be done, but only under lucky circumstances (ie not living too far away from an airfield).. What makes my decision more difficult is that since I live in the Alps, the flying experience gained here (less the equipment but more the weather) would probably help me in the future, or not?

If you think that it is feasable, then in which country would I be better off? Ireland or the UK?

BTW, I wouldn't need the exchange for my english, since I was born and grew up in the US and have been living here for 4 years. It would be to learn to live away from home and to enjoy fish and chips more often!

Thanks,

Marco

FlyingForFun
26th Feb 2005, 16:16
I say do it - I have no idea whether it would help your aviation career, but if you've got the opportunity it sounds like a load of fun!

You are quite right that you could continue to learn to fly in the UK - there are plenty of schools, both powered and gliding. I don't see how being in the Alps would give you any advantage in an aviation career. In fact, I would suggest that a variety of different flying environments would benefit you. I've done a bit of mountain flying when I did my hour-building in Arizona. Most of my flying has been in the UK, but I've also been to the Channel Islands, France and Belgium. I've also done a bit of aerobatics, got a sea-plane rating and a couple of hundred hours of tail-dragger flying. I've learnt something from every single one of these experiences, and I hope they make me a better pilot. I don't expect them to necessarily swing a job application one way or the other, but that's not the point. And, most important of all - I've enjoyed each new experience, because that really is the only reason we get into the flying business to start with.

FFF
------------

Boeing4ever
28th Feb 2005, 13:36
Thanks for your reply, FFF

Any other opinions?

I would especially like to know where I'll have a better chance to fly during my stay in Britain: The UK or Ireland? Based on my research there is only one gliding club in Ireland, the Dublin Flying Club... If this is true I'm probably better off in England.

Marco

willby
28th Feb 2005, 18:07
Hi Boeing4ever,
http://www.flyinginireland.com/
This site should help you with what's available in Ireland. Click on links to see what clubs etc are available.
Regards
Willby