PDA

View Full Version : THE PPRuNe warning

John Farley
26th Feb 2005, 10:10
We are all very familiar with:

As these are anonymous forums the origins of the contributions may be opposite to what may be apparent. In fact the press may use it, or the unscrupulous, to elicit certain reactions.

At a somewhat lower level of importance I have often felt we needed another warning at the top of most forums. But until today I was not able to properly put my feelings into words. Today I have been captivated by a piece by Ben Macintyre in the Times, where he quotes Harry G Frankfurt the moral philosopher and professor emeritus at Princeton University, on the topic of bull****. Among many pearls in this lengthy article was this one:

The production of bull**** is stimulated whenever a person’s obligations or opportunities to speak exceed his knowledge of the facts that are relevant to that topic

Jobza Guddun
26th Feb 2005, 10:23
An accurate and timely quotation, Mr F.

Roghead
26th Feb 2005, 11:09
Hi John. A warning to us all perchance? One which could be extended to the (possible) misleading information included in the profiles of some contributors, designed perhaps to add weight and authority to their opinions? At least the re-emerged crossbow(s) has had the decency to delete Warton from his/her location.
With regard to the press using the "unscrupulous" I feel 'twas always thus..... the accurate and informed does not always make for a "good" story.

Jackonicko
26th Feb 2005, 11:41
I always resent the implication that you can be a member of the press or unscrupulous, and not both!

Roghead
26th Feb 2005, 11:50
Hi Jacko, my reference to "unscrupulous" was taken from a previous post which has been deleted. I would prefer to substitute the word "uninformed".
I, amongst many, would be more than happy to appease your sensibilities and accord you the privelege of being a member of the Press and unscrupulous, and this despite being fair, balanced and respected.:ok:

Navaleye
26th Feb 2005, 13:37
You guys are so kind to Jacko, its no wonder he feels so welcome here. :(

BEagle
26th Feb 2005, 13:45
But he's got a hide thicker than that of an armour plated rhinoceros.....

FJJP
26th Feb 2005, 13:51
John, that's priceless.

Only trouble is, many of those who do don't realise...

FJJP

Zoom
27th Feb 2005, 11:27
During my time with the USAF many moons ago I used to enjoy the procedure whereby an aircrew audience being bullsh*tted would pull out one end of their flying scarves and flap them gently. This was known as 'waving the bullsh*t flag' and would invariably return the bullsh*tter to his seat. Another procedure was shouting 'the hook' (taken from a TV comedy show, I think) and a long hook would reach out from stage left to remove the bullsh*tter by the neck. These would both work well at PMQs, I feel.

4Greens
28th Feb 2005, 06:02
When you longer understand an expert explaining something, that is the point at which they have started bull****ing you.

Old Rule: ANON

TD&H
2nd Mar 2005, 09:59
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The production of bull**** is stimulated whenever a person’s obligations or opportunities to speak exceed his knowledge of the facts that are relevant to that topic

Of course politicians are excluded from this definition!:E