PDA

View Full Version : Trouble at Bankstown

d_concord
26th Feb 2005, 07:20
Was talking to a friend today that told me about his aircraft being broken into and moved at Bankstown.

Would seem that when he arrived outside his office at Bankstown he parked his aircraft in a non reserved spot. Next day, he comes out to preflight his aircraft to head home to find it missing and another aircraft in the spot. His aircraft was some 75 metres away.

Door handle had been jimmied, door opened and aircraft then moved. Result was that the handle is all twisted and mechanism in some manner damaged and door will not open correctly from the outside.

Seems as though some owner?/operator? of the aircraft now in the original parking spot felt that as it was where he normally parked his aircraft it belonged to him and took it upon himself that it was right and proper to interfere with an aircraft no matter what.

The affair was witnessed by a number of engineers and the culprits (3 of) identified to police.

Evidently charges are now likely to be laid on at least one person by the police that attended.

The owner was not sure what other ramifications were going to flow from CASA and DOTARS (if any).

Amazing. never heard of anything like this before but it will be interesting to see what happens with all these heightened security measures being implemented. It will be interesting to work out what Regs have been breached here.

Twist is he parked there because the place he normally parks was occupied by a helicopter and he himself went to a nearby vacant spot.

Icarus2001
26th Feb 2005, 08:50
Well I guess that adds weight to the new security measures required from March 10, externally visible security locking devices!

Sunfish
26th Feb 2005, 22:55
Hmmm, must buy battery powered angle grinder just in case.....:}

d_concord
27th Feb 2005, 00:11
It does sort of justify the increased security measures which is unfortunate. Here I was thinking they had gone over the top.

You would also think they may make an example of the individuals just so they can hold out the case as supporting the requirements.

In lots of ways this is a bit like road rage, hate to think what may have been done if the aircraft couldn't be moved.

Unfortunate thing is I think the main player in this fiasco is a commercial pilot. Not a lot of stability there to encourage you I would think and the inability to think through the issues is a worry.

Rudder
27th Feb 2005, 00:49
d_concord

I don't think this is like road rage where someone looses their temper and does something on the spur of the moment. This would seem to be a considered response and would have taken time to do.

This wasn't our mutual friend Mr T's aircraft by any chance?

Feather #3
27th Feb 2005, 01:47
Don't confuse the issue!! The "security" stuff the Gov't is talking about is not being able to fly the a/c. Most things that prevent that won't stop a "break & enter" with the subsequent ability to move the a/c on the ground.

G'day ;)

Matt-YSBK
27th Feb 2005, 02:11
I would say the people responsible for the damage will be in deep cra*. I think a federal offence like willful damage to an aircraft or some such issue. If it gets the full attention of the law i would not think that pilot would pass there "Background" check next time they do it.

Biggles_in_Oz
27th Feb 2005, 06:39
Golly.. is it that difficult to get parking at YSBK nowadays ?

Was the parking spot outside a hanger ??, if so, then the parkee (ooops) parker, would have been blocking access in and out.
Did the movers try to find the parker ?
(the CASA registry is not always the most informative, but it's a starting point)

Ultralights
27th Feb 2005, 07:42
Golly.. is it that difficult to get parking at YSBK nowadays

yep, especially now as no one can afford to fly anymore! :}

d_concord
27th Feb 2005, 07:57
Rudder,

Yep that's the one, seeing red, smoke coming out his ears and vengence in his heart when I spoke to him. If he goes on with it I hope the mover has deep pockets as he does.

Biggles,

Parking at Bankstown is no problem. The airport owners have seen to running as many aircraft out as possible with the way they charge. Sometimes you may have to walk a little.

I'm not sure but I do know one of his offices is located in a large hangar facility but I think it was parked between hangars and I would be fairly sure that the owner would not block anyone. He's been around a long time and would know how that works.

I don't know if they did ask.

Feather,

Of course it's a related issue. I don't know if the aircraft was started but it may have been. tough call to move an aircraft 75 or so metres. Let's also understand that it was a pilot who you would assume be capable of flying the aircraft. Just supports the security issue that you need to ensure that the aircraft can't be flown. In this case that would not appear to be the motivation, next time who knows.

Matt,

Depending on how narcky the authorities may want to be I would suggest the following may be in play

Willfull Damage
Unauthorised Entry
Tampering with an aircraft
Even theft of an aircraft. (I would assume that the fact the aircraft was taken out of the lawful control of the owner without approval would be much like having a car stolen and then found in the eyes of the law. The fact that it was located would not excuse that it was stolen in the first place).
If it was started and he didn't have an endorsement(it's a twin) there may also be licence issues as well.

I agree with you, hate to see how this works with ID checks etc

Icarus2001
28th Feb 2005, 00:54
Feather 3, well external wheel locks which are readily available would have prevented this and met the DOTARS requirement which becomes current in TEN days.

Sunfish, go for the angle grinder. I don't think anyone would hear or see you using it near an aircraft on the apron at a quiet place like YSBK!:rolleyes:

http://www.tirelock.com/images/NewAircraft.jpg

Ultralights
28th Feb 2005, 07:19
wonder what will happen in the case of a real emergency at any GA airfeild? especially at YSBK,

hypothetical, big twin comes in at night, gear failes to hold on touchdown and collapses, wing impact ruptures wing tanks and the aircraft skids in a flaming mess towards the parking area, fire crews, emergency services come racing to the scene, only to find the burning aircraft, with pax and crew still alive, but trapped, surrounded by a small fleet of light aircraft all bolted and chained to their tiedowns! as per DOTARS regs....

currawong
28th Feb 2005, 08:51
A padlock will not slow down a 40 ton fire truck.

(nor will much else!)

Sunfish
28th Feb 2005, 19:59
Fire Engines carry bolt cutters.:p

Captain Sand Dune
28th Feb 2005, 23:59
Any further development? IMHO a strong message needs to be sent sooner rather than later.

quarter hr pack
2nd Mar 2005, 01:02
Maybe fire engines should carry the battery powered angle grinders as well!

d_concord
3rd Mar 2005, 20:48
CSD

Spoke to the owner last night. From what I understand the state police are likely to press charges, CASA and Dotars who had been advised, he had no idea what they were doing.