PDA

View Full Version : Warbirds over Wanaka

sparkymark
26th Feb 2005, 01:37
who's been to warbirds over wanaka, the biggest airshow in the southern hemisphere.its fantastic

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
26th Feb 2005, 17:37
Been to Wanaka airfield and watched impromptu display by an F-51 - absolutely amazing. A magical place - when is the next "show" please?

ekoja
26th Feb 2005, 22:07
Warbirds over Wanaka is (are ) held Bi Yearly at Easter The next event will be Easter 2006
Some Great Vids from shows gone by some of the early show videos were not much on tech but really great entertainment.
If I was to name the best displays I have seen, there would be several. Mark Hanna flying ME109 Black 2 The 1918 Bleriot flown by the Swedish guy Carlsoon (I think) The clown act with an Auster, but laterly the Wanganui airworks guys in the Crescos (turbine powered Fletchers)their formation flying(really you have to be there to appreciate them.)
later.

MikeKnight
28th Feb 2005, 03:38
Easter 2006. be there! (http://www.warbirdsoverwanaka.co.nz/article_2006.asp?id=about)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Feb 2005, 07:15
<<The next event will be Easter 2006>>

Might just give that a whirl - many thanks..

pumuckl
28th Feb 2005, 07:37
Been there twice now - would definitely recommend it! Great display against beautiful scenery and a great atmosphere.

ekoja
28th Feb 2005, 11:30
I was there last in 2002 the year of the Polikarpovs.(lots of Polikarpovs) Also the year that the Hurricane was displayed by Kieth Skilling for the first time in NZ for many many years, That time I saw Sir Tim being driven around the grounds. I guess that there are many others closer too Sir Tim who could comment on his health but yes, you are right he did have a accident in a Spitfire
Thru the Alpine Fighter Group Sir Tim has bought so much enjoyment, as have all the pilots who have over the years performed at Warbirds, to so many people
he is a true legend
javascript:smilie(':ok:')
Thumb
Later

sparkymark
1st Mar 2005, 05:02
When i was there, a chopper flew in a shed full of canterbury rugby supporters, they then got out, the chopper lifted off and dropped the shed :O