PDA

View Full Version : Going to Florida - advise please

Kingron
25th Feb 2005, 16:50
First of all I am new to the PPRUNE but I am getting hooked.

I am going to Florida to learn to fly. Now I know all about supporting local flying schools and I will - when I get back. But if I dont go away and do this then I will never do it.

Anyway so there are a lot of people looking on the site - in a similar position to me. I am going to start my ground school studies next week with the Oxford Discs so that I can get them out the way.

I am thinking of heading out to Florida at the End of April for 4 weeks.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I am wondering from those who know with all the different flying schools it would seem - Avoid Ormond like the plague...

So there is Orlando, Naples and EFT. All seem good, does anyone know which is really best or - are they all good so it doesnt really matter.

I am going for the JAA PPL. I want to fly, I always have. If anyone is thinking of going out around the same time please feel free to drop me a line.

All advice on how long ground school will take, should I book 1-2-1 lessons, how do I go about booking exams... all advice appreciated although I will continue to read books and trawl through the forums.

Ta!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
25th Feb 2005, 17:20
Kingron,

First of all welcome.

This really has been done to death on PPRUNE. Use the search function and you will read many different conflicting opinions.

In a nutshell, I have been to two schools you mention, Ormond and Naples. Out of the the two I would choose Naples for a PPL, however, I had no gripes with Ormond, but NAC is simply better in my opinion.

With respect to the exams, you can self study and take them when you get to the states if you wish.

Good luck, and you will have a great time when you are out there, it is really a lot of fun. Oh, and April is a great time to catch some really great weather.

All the best.

AndyDRHuddleston
25th Feb 2005, 19:11
kingron,

I can't compare the different schools that you mention, but I am at NAC at the moment doing the ATPL's and I can firmly give them my recommendations. Weather is great, people are great as too are the beaches.

If you want any specific questions answering with regards to NAC drop me a PM, and I'll try my best to help you out. I'll be here until July/August this year.

Cheers

Andy --- fellow scouser!!

flaps now
26th Feb 2005, 08:05
I too went to NAC and had a great time. The instruction was very good and would have no reservations in recommending them to you. Very good idea to get the ground school done before you go as this will make your time there so much more enjoyable..

VFE
26th Feb 2005, 10:13
Have a good time in Florida flaps now. Eat plenty and take advantage of the cheaper Budweiser.

Flying? Oh yeah, you've picked an ideal time of year. It is not too hot so you won't get betty swollocks.

VFE.

spitfire747
26th Feb 2005, 11:48
I really must agree that if you intend to go t the USA to do your PPL pilot training you should endeavour to get your ground studies completed BEFORE you go out across the pond. When you are on an intensive course the last thing you wan to do after 2 or 3 lessons flying in the florida heat and humidity is to go and spend all evening studying when the others are sitting around the pool with cool budweisers.

SAMIR786
26th Feb 2005, 12:10
I am off to EFT on the 6th April to complete 20 hours dual and 10 hours solo + Night for my PPL, over a period of 2 weeks.

I started on the ground exams in Jan and have been doing about one every week. I have now done 4 and passed with an average of 95% using both APMs and the Confuser.

If you live in London, you can do these exams at London Met Uni (Tower Bridge). There is a very nice chap called Bruce Abbot and he sets each exam for £30.

My advice would be to get the core exams (Nav, Tech, Air Law, Met) out of the way before hand and leave modules like Human Factors till last, or even do them in the US.

Good Luck!

Jarema
26th Feb 2005, 21:00
If you want to get JAA license than NAC will be good choice.

NAC's aircrafts are in good conditions, well equipped and rates are not so bad.

School looks proffesional. I disliked their fuel policy when rented aircraft is refuelled in another FBO- they do not give you full refund (maybe I just accustomed to Kansas :) ).

I quess you are from UK. I don't know FAA-CAA license conversion procedures, but... If you think about proffesional pilot career- another way may be faster and a lot cheaper.

Jarema

Nigel Gray
27th Feb 2005, 12:10
Wasn't that keen on NAC myself, and find it difficult to recommend them.

Kingron
28th Feb 2005, 16:45
It would seem all bar one recommend Naples and that is great.

I have to say you pilots seem to be very helpful and friendly. I look forward to spending more time on this site AND becoming a pilot!

Thanks for all your help. It is really appreciated.