PDA

View Full Version : Halls Creek

I Fly
25th Feb 2005, 02:57
What's the goss with Oasis Air at Halls Creek? Did a search and can't find much on Halls Creek and even less on Oasis Air. Good, bad or ugly?

Ang737
25th Feb 2005, 03:18
A bit of movement there at the moment. They are looking for a Cheif Pilot...

Ang ;)

Super Cecil
25th Feb 2005, 04:39
Would he cook as well as fly? Would he have to wear one of those funny hats when flying? Does he cook while flying?

grrowler
25th Feb 2005, 06:28
Can think of worse places to work. They employ full-time, pay ok and give you cheap accomodation I think (well used to). You probably won't do 900 hrs/yr maybe 650ish (having said that I brushed 900 when I was there. They do have twins to fly as well, although they generally don't do that much flying.

The problem is Halls Creek is not somewhere you would want to spend the rest of your life, and as a result the company tends to get a lot of hour hungry, lying pricks as CP's (a bit harsh, but you know who you are :mad: ). Go there as an experience and make the most of your time and you'll be laughing :ok:

stickpusherpusher
25th Feb 2005, 06:54
Rang the owner regarding work last week. Presently operating a xhired C210 - twins are away for maintenance and he does not know when they will be back. Sounds a little fishy. Think the money tree has been uprooted.

He said nothing about cooking while flying thou!

thinking pilot
25th Feb 2005, 10:36
For Randal this was his first Mission since registering with Angel Flight earlier this year.

As Chief Pilot for Oasis Air, Randal understands the advantages of air travel for those living in outback Australia, but more significantly he understands the challenges facing those living in the back of beyond.

"Last year I had to have treatment for ulcers and now that I am fully recovered I want to use my talents and skills to help Angel Flight which I know transports many ulcer patients." Mr. Tokody said.

This mission was flown in a PC12 light aircraft that Randal personally chartered.

Angel Flight comment by Randal Tokody

Never again, the pay was ****e.

Wanikiba_pilot
25th Feb 2005, 17:28
I Fly,

I worked at Oasis for 9 months before moving on to bigger things(note...I didnt say better).
Halls Creek is not the best of towns, but can be heaps of fun, locals are great. Cute Irish nurses on vacation work stints, teachers, tourists and the station workers, all leads to a good mix and interesting times. Long hot days, Bungles scenics when the sun rises, Balgo runs on Fridays to bring the boys in, freight to Ringer Soak and back for cold beers at the pub by the pool(Kimberley Lodge??). Just ask for an extra day off every few months to get into Broome for a spell so that you don't go nuts.
I found pay and conditions excellent for GA, the owners do look after you if you work hard and are honest with them. Owners were great, were fair and generous. Accommodation was a bit lacking when I was there, but I made contacts in town and things weren't bad, there is always the caravan park too.
I hear they have sorted the accommodation out though.

Most of the work is for the singles. The twins dont fly anywhere near as much. The Partenavia did a bit of work as it was the only spare aircraft a lot of the time. Good opportunity to get twin time and build hours. Get a Partenavia endorsement before you get there. Navajo only did the odd charter as it was not competitive compared to singles. They always have trouble finding Chief Pilots, as the twin flying is hit and miss then other opportunities arise and they leave. It's hard to stay there for long. So progression is fast.

As for;
"Sounds a little fishy. Think the money tree has been uprooted"

Oasis is part of a bigger company, and is a pet project/hobby for the owner(s), and probably a good write-off for tax liability. While there are houses to fix in Halls Creek, there will be an Oasis Air.:ok:

grrowler, check your PM's.

WP

Transition Layer
25th Feb 2005, 22:36
Both grrowler and Wanikiba_pilot have hit the nail on the head...

It's a great first/second job, mainly because the pilot group as a whole is given quite a bit of independence. The pilots do the charter quotes, the invoicing, organise maintenance, chase up bills etc. While this may sound tedious, it's great experience seeing GA from the ground up and I think I am much better off for it.

Pay and conditions can't be knocked. There is a 3 month probation period which sees you making slightly under the award, but after that it's SE NVFR (approx $30,000 these days). Pay was always on time, 6 weeks paid annual leave and leave loading - meal expenses when away from base on overnight charters etc always picked up as well.

Accomodation in Halls Creek is in a house rented by the company, and your share of the rent comes straight out of your pay. Not a bad deal really - has air con, pretty much furnished (dunno bout these days) not the flashest of houses, but it is Halls Creek after all!

Generally after a few months in Halls Creek it will be your turn to run the Wyndham base. This is when you really learn how to handle yourself. You do everything basically, and it's either sink or swim. A house (no rent) and company car are provided.

Aircraft really took a turn for the better whilst I was there thanks to the CP who made sure no corners were cut and got a lot of long term unservicabilities fixed up.

Twin time is really variable, as there are only one or two contracts which guarantee flying. However, they both may be parked up against a fence if the rumours are correct. You'd have to ask the current guys.

Halls Creek boys rock! Nudie swims in the Kimberley Hotel pool! Yeeeaahh!

TL

giddy up
26th Feb 2005, 10:48
Although the mutli flying is up and down, you will most definately leave Halls Creek having increased your bundy drinking ability ten fold!

:ok:
giddy

Hatchet Harry
26th Feb 2005, 23:03
The Nudie swims in the pool were great!!!!!!

Wookie was whinging most of the time but finally shut up when that poor Scottish Lass copped all of his built up frustration:ok:

And that poor AEC girl that had to put up with two pervs at my window.......

"All Good":E :E :E

Giddy was the last man standing at his interview in Broome!!!!!

Onya Boys.....

nick murry
1st Mar 2005, 20:45
Like Giddyup said, your a machine when it comes do downing Bundy,,

Although it helps when your girlfriend can slap a lazy drip on you the next morning so you’re fit and proper to do that 3pm bungles. ;)

OASIS BOYS WE ARE HERE F*$K YOUR WOMEN AND DRINK YOUR BEER!

Continental-520
3rd Mar 2005, 07:57
Well, their Partenavia (looks like a nice one at that) seems to be sitting on the ground day after day in Darwin...have yet to see it in a hangar...(????)