PDA

View Full Version : No More Radar LSALTS when arriving into BK

SsaKcaj
23rd Feb 2005, 20:20
This may well be at all airports now, I have only experienced it in SY App on arrival into BK

Anyone know the reason why they have stopped giving Radar LSALTs?

How are they going to get the bank runners down the lane at night?

Evertime the cloud base is below about 4000', there will have to an instrument approach into BK, bet ATC are going to love that.

And how are aircraft supposed to descend below the published LSALTS in VMC at night without a procedure or orbits??

All seems rather stupid to me!!!

Bula
23rd Feb 2005, 21:45
when has this started to happen?

Starts with P
23rd Feb 2005, 23:16
Any idea why? All I know is that they are suspended until "a review of procedures" is completed.

Tinstaafl
24th Feb 2005, 00:23
There's nothing stopping a pilot from determining his/her own LSALTS. Use as many route segments between fixes as necessary to take advantage of lowering terrain. Even more advantageous if N.VFR because a visual fix allows an immediate descent to the new, lower LSALT, even if the just-passed critical obstacle is only a foot to the rear.

Think of Camden lights, Hoxton Park, 2RN, Richmond etc etc for visual fixes, as well as pre-planned cross bearings from Camden, Bindook, Richmond, BK, SY DME etc. for IMC fixes.

Nomorecrap
24th Feb 2005, 23:59
ATC (Operational Folk) are scratching their head also at this missive from CB.

However, it only applies in G Airspace.

Basically it is saying ATC can not provide RLSALT OCTA, just as ATC can not provide HDG's (EMERG aside)

Personally I think it is crap - and not using the radar to it's full capacity. However it smells of corporate lawyers intervening on liability issues.

If you determine your own Route LSA from point to point (as eluded to above) you may well find it is less restrictive that RLSALT anyway. Just means you need a whole lot of extra points on the route. NVFR is of course far less restrictive as mentioned.

Spinnerhead
25th Feb 2005, 13:49
Grow up and learn how to use your needles like you got taught on your CPL. I spent 2 years going into BK (bankrunning) without ever asking for a "radar lowest safe". Try Camden and Richmand with your ADF you poor excuse for a bank running pilot, sorry forgot to mention the Sydney VOR. Grow up and work it out. If you don't pay for the service you don't get F.A.

Duff Man
28th Feb 2005, 02:40
A recent review of procedures have found ambiguity with the use of RLSALT in class G so until AIP and MATS has this rewritten SY ATC has been told not to give RLSALT.

Hint: tell your employer you will have to plan via STARs and incur all the necessary extra costs of such routing and IAPs if required. They can then call the Ops Manager of Sydney Terminal Control Unit (ph 1300 301 120) to ask why.