PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Traning for PPL

turbo911boy
23rd Feb 2005, 09:28
Hi to all..... I started a PPL course in the UK last year and have now done 22 hours (gone solo once!). The school has had financial problems so I am forced to leave. As I have a really busy life at work at the moment and trying to get the odd hour training here and there doesnt seem to be working - I was thinking about going off somehwere (maybe overseas?) and doing a 1 / 2 week intensive course. Can anyone suggest schools and what I need to do before going etc? I have no ground exams yet. Many thanks in advance for any help on this matter!

SAMIR786
23rd Feb 2005, 10:07
You may consider going off to sunny Florida.

Good schools there include EFT, Naples and OFT.

Like you, I also have about 20 hours, which I gained from an RAF Flying Scholarship in 2000.

I am going out to EFT, Florida in April to do about 20 hours dual and 10 hours solo over a period of 14 days.

I have already done 4 ground exams over the last 5 weeks and will do the remaining when I get there. This is highly advisable!!!

Before you leave for USA for training, you will need an M1 visa, pay SEVIS fees and register with TSA. All this involves time and money.

Dont worry, your school will provide you with detailed instructions on the whole process. At least EFT did anyway!!!

I would also give at least 10 days to complete your remaining 25 hours or so.

Good Luck!

turbo911boy
23rd Feb 2005, 10:22
Thanks for the assistance. Any reason you chose EFT? Also what does a 2 week course with accomodation cost? Thanks - Jason

birdlady
23rd Feb 2005, 13:02
Hi Turbo

Have you considered South Africa for PPL? Im not going to go on again about how great sa is to train but I will say this. Its CHEAP (+- 55 pounds per hour solo). If interested, check out this website www.avcom.co.za or just PM me. Oh yeah, it was not necessary to have a student visa but it is now. Its a very simple procedure (much simpler than getting an amercian visa).

Hope this helps
BL :ok: :ok:

turbo911boy
23rd Feb 2005, 13:32
Hi Birdlady

Thanks for the message. So can you suggest any good schools with accomodation that are near to some entertainment for the wife and baby also? Is it cheaper than the USA or what is the advantages? Many thanks for your help. Jason

ScotsRocket
23rd Feb 2005, 15:06
turbo911boy,

I can recommend Riverside Flight Centre in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Did my PPL there 2003 in 5 weeks start to finish, definately worth a look. I liked it so much I'm now back there doing my ME/IR!

All the best, ScotsRocket

SAMIR786
23rd Feb 2005, 22:57
As far as EFT goes...they seem to have about 95% positive feedback.

They seem professional and are not out there to rip you off.

Assuming you go there before July, you should be able to fly 3-4 hours per day.

Accomodation is about $300 per week.

birdlady
25th Feb 2005, 13:52
Hi Turbo

It may not necessarily be cheaper in terms of rental of a/c but if you factor in living expenses, tickets etc it will be cheaper than the states in the long run. I really would suggest you try and rent a flat somewhere as opposed to staying at the airport. Johannesburg is a good place to come as there are a few good schools here and the weather tends to be better here than at the coast. I can recommend CFA (Central Flying Academy) and SPS ( Superior Pilot Services) at Grand Central. Dont go near Lanseria Flight Centre - a bunch of hooligans . I did my PPL with SPS and its a small school but the instructors are great. Lenard owns SPS and used to be a JAA instructor so really knows his stuff. I cant give you the website but their number is + 27 11 8050605. If you need more info I suggest you check out www.avcom.co.za

Hope this helps
BL :ok: :ok: