PDA

View Full Version : Why are jumpseats called jumpseats ?

dunkphilip
22nd Feb 2005, 15:33
The title says it all really... Can anyone shed any light ?

Duncan

NotTheOrganGrinder
22nd Feb 2005, 21:17
Because if you're lucky, you're asked to jump in, perchance?

Engineer
23rd Feb 2005, 09:37
May be from

jump seat
n : a folding seat in an automobile

P-T-Gamekeeper
24th Feb 2005, 15:45
When you are "checked" at no notice, as a pilot, you are said to be jumped by the examiner. Examiners will take the spare flight deck seat - ergo JUMPSEAT.

Tempsford
25th Feb 2005, 09:35
A lot of terms on aircraft go back to coaching/sailing/ships. (Keel, Water Line, Frames, Cockpit, Port, Starboard, Forward, Aft, Captain, First Officer for example). Jump Seats were fold down seats on early automobiles. Jump Seats on aircraft are fold down seats (Cabin Crew Jump Seats in the Cabin and flight deck seats as in the A300, B737, BAC1-11) The other seats in the Flight Deck which are fixed and more substantial in design although defined by some as being Jump Seats are actually defined in manuals as Observers Seats (normally 1st, 2nd etc). Other seats in the Flight Deck that some folks thought were Jump Seats were for Crew positions that weren't used all the time (Radio Operator and Navigator on the Britannia operating short haul on IT flights for example).

It would be interesting to see exactly how many terms that may be thought to have originated with aircraft actually came from other areas.

Yes, I know, I should get out more often.

Temps.

keithl
25th Feb 2005, 09:39
Jump Seats were fold down seats on early automobiles
Yes, but the question was, "Why?"
I'd like to know, too.

airborne_artist
25th Feb 2005, 09:55
Because you had to jump into the early fold down automobile seats; they did not have door access.

Tempsford
25th Feb 2005, 10:22
Keith
I believe the artist has just explained 'why'.
Temps

keithl
25th Feb 2005, 10:30
Aaaah! Enlightenment.
Yes, indeed, thanks artist.

Tempsford
25th Feb 2005, 10:41
Praise dee laud!

Temps

spekesoftly
25th Feb 2005, 13:34
OK, so who can explain why 'Rumble' and 'Dickey' seats were so called? ;)

keithl
25th Feb 2005, 13:41
I know "Rumble". It's actually Rumbold (sp??) after its designer.
Don't know "Dickey", though.

spekesoftly
25th Feb 2005, 13:53
Yes, I thought it was 'Rumbold'. Then a little research revealed that, in the context of old automobiles, 'rumble', 'dickey' and 'jump-seats' are pretty much one and the same.

keithl
26th Feb 2005, 12:57
Well, maybe more research required. However, I recall seing them referred to in Canberra F700s as "Rumbold" seats, so if it's not right, at least it is an officially recognised error.

Conceivable, I guess, that Mr Rumbold designed the original one for cars, these were corrupted to "Rumble" early on and the word passed on into aircraft seats.

Yes, I do have a life - but I'm easily distracted by obscure origins...!