PDA

View Full Version : TSA clarification

Billy M
22nd Feb 2005, 14:05
Hi all,

I'm hoping that someone well versed in the intricacies of the TSA system can clear up the following for me...

I have an FAA PPL that hasn't been used for about 5 years so I'm off to California to do my BFR and then hire an aircraft for a couple of weeks. Of no relevance, I'm sure - I am a current JAA ATPL holder.

From all the TSA literature I've read, the answer (although not necessarily the current one) is that I am neither going to be doing flight training or recurrent training as defined by the TSA:

“Flight training” is defined in 49 CFR 1552.1(b) as “instruction received from a flight school in an aircraft or aircraft simulator.” TSA interprets this definition to include only that training that a candidate could use toward a new airman’s certificate or rating.

“Recurrent training” is defined in 49 CFR 1552.1(b) as “periodic training required under 14 CFR part 61, 121, 125, 135, or Subpart K of part 91.” TSA interprets this definition to not include any flight review, proficiency check, or other check whose purpose is to review rules, maneuvers, or procedures, or to demonstrate a pilot’s existing skills on aircraft with a maximum certificated takeoff weight (MTOW) of 12,500 pounds or less, such as the flight review required under 14 CFR 61.56 or the recent flight experience requirements in 14 CFR 61.57.

My question is, assuming I'm correct in saying that I am carrying out no training as outlined above, do I need to register with the TSA, and if so, as what category......?

Bit of a complicated one as far as I can see, any help much appreciated.

conor_mc
22nd Feb 2005, 14:50
Hi Billy,

There's a sticky in the Private Flying forum dealing with Visas/TSA etc. which may be of help.

clicky (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=65838)

Conor

cfimei
23rd Feb 2005, 03:52
It is a moot point given that a BFR has to include at least one hour of flight and ground training. However the only time TSA gets involved with any kind of training is when a student goes for a check-ride and the examiner is mandated to see the email from TSA approving the students training. As you aren't taking a flight test there is little point in registering even under Cat 4.

KitKatPacificuk
23rd Feb 2005, 09:24
Why not do your BFR in the UK? Then go and hire in the US. No need to get the TSA involved.

mike halls
23rd Feb 2005, 16:10
HI GUYS,

YOU WOULD STILL NEED TO COMPLETE TSA REQMENT
BECAUSE ANY FLIGHT SCHOOL IN THE USA WILL HAVE
TO DO A CHECKFLIGHT WITH YOU ANYWAY.SO THEREFORE
THEY REGARD THIS AS TRAINING.

MIKE

Tinstaafl
23rd Feb 2005, 23:54
A BFR is *not* considered flight training & is not included in the TSA requirements for notification.

Sensible
24th Feb 2005, 07:23
It just isn't necessary to register with the TSA for renting an aircraft and a BFR is not training, it's a flight review (biennial flight review) and it's not considered training. It's pointless to do the BFR in the UK because when you rent an aircraft. You will be required to demonstrate competence both on the ground and in the air and that is essentially the same as a BFR so it's pointless paying to jump through the same hoops twice.

Some folks are taking this TSR stuff a bit too seriously. Essentially, if you aren't going to do actual flight training, ie PPL, CPL, IR then there are no worries. I promise!

Just go and enjoy.

newflyer
24th Feb 2005, 12:19
Just so everyone is clear, 'training' is defined as flight instruction which will lead to a new certificate or rating. Therefore and an initial Private Certificate requires registration with the TSA. As does a multi or instrument rating

Commercial training does NOT require registration unless you are obtaining a new certificate i.e. multi rating / instrument. Nor does a high performance endorsement, tail wheel etc.

For example if you already have a Private Multi Certificate and are training for a Commercial Multi Certificate you do not need to register with the TSA!

Any questions feel free to email me. I currently handle all TSA processing for a well known flight school in Florida and also work for a very well known GA publication in the UK!

Safe flying everyone.

Sensible
24th Feb 2005, 12:29
I currently handle all TSA processing for a well known flight school in Florida But is that flight school as well known as DeBenair at Space Coast Regional?;)

You are never going to graduate to head of marketing unless you sieze every opportunity!:rolleyes: