PDA

View Full Version : preparing for training

squalo
22nd Feb 2005, 13:41
Recently recieved the good news from CX that I passed the selection process for DESO, training estimated to start in Sept.
Coming from a single pilot, VFR, Caravan operation, I realize that the Cathay training is going to be a steep learning curve for me. Having landed the job of my dreams, I don't want to mess it up in the training process!!
Any CX drivers out there have some tips on how I can prepare myself for training over the next few months? Good books, websites, flight sim practice, etc.?
Thanks in advance, looking forward to joining you all in HK!

Sonic Zepplin
22nd Feb 2005, 15:16
PM me I might be able to help you out

I recently did type in 400

tamalai
23rd Feb 2005, 05:06
Best way to prepare will be to get up at 2 am (local/body time) then go downstairs and sit in the cupboard under the stairs with minimal lighting for 6 hours, making sure you stay awake!!! If you have a friend who is prepared to sit up with you practice whingeing to each other about:
1. Levels of pay
2. Flight time limitations and the lack of time off
3. How crap the managers are & how little they understand you

To REALLY make it realistic get two empty cans and join them with a piece of string so you can leave one with your sleeping partner upstairs, then periodically speak in to your can, with something like, "kunming,kunming Cathay 250 is overhead KMG FL11400 metres estimating at 49"..........Keep repeating this till your partner wakes up and sleepily replies (tell her to do her best chinese accent)

Do this 3 nights a week till you join and you should be up to the job

PS: enjoy !!!

Canadian Beech
23rd Feb 2005, 10:48
LMAO! that's the funniest thing I've ever heard:p

Oasis
23rd Feb 2005, 17:10
Also don't forget to switch on the vacuum cleaner (for realistic cockpit noise).

QNH1013
25th Feb 2005, 12:32
Great one tamalai, ha ha.

Don't forget to prepare microwaved TV Dinners to practice eating on your lap while in there.:E