PDA

View Full Version : Tornado Leaves Runway

Top Bunk Tester
22nd Feb 2005, 12:07
A Tornado GR4 aircraft from Number 12 Squadron at RAF Lossiemouth, Scotland conducted a controlled emergency landing at its homebase on the afternoon of 21 February 2005.
The aircraft encountered unexpected undercarriage problems. The aircraft crew managed to effect a landing but the aircraft caught fire. RAF fire crews reacted immediately and both crew members were rescued with no injuries.

The actions of both the aircraft crew and RAF fire crews are an excellent example of the professionalism and effective training of RAF personnel.

An investigation into the incident will be conducted.

Glad to see both are OK

Source: MoD Oracle (http://www.modoracle.com/)

5 Forward 6 Back
22nd Feb 2005, 12:08
A GR4's landed with a mainwheel red and wound up on the grass up at Lossie:

Link to BBC News here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4285777.stm)

bluetail
22nd Feb 2005, 18:24
The local BBC news showed footage last night, looks like crew did a great job, BBC said they were told to ditch it, trouble was it was bl**dy really cold up here yesterday so I reckon it was a good call not to, there were lots of sparks from the right side of course but the Crash crew were spraying it as it stopped, looked like a bit of a fire from the right side hindenberger but that was all, and the crash crew had it out in no time flat. TOP JOB BOYS

Additionally I heard a short interview with the pilot on MFR today but they just played the dramatic stuff, "err we were a bit windy when we stopped" type stuff, apparently the boss had the pair of them airborne again today.

Glad to see both were OK.

Apparently the jet is not that badly damaged either.

BT

MrBernoulli
22nd Feb 2005, 18:38
Blinkin' heck!

I refuelled a GR4 yesterday on its way home to Lossie from Italy - I hope it wasn't them.

Razor61
23rd Feb 2005, 13:36
http://news.mod.uk/news_headline_story.asp?newsItem_id=3104

Shows the Tornado in 'still picture form' taken from a video.

Razor

L1A2 discharged
26th Feb 2005, 21:31
Defence Fire Service .:mad:?? What bolleaux. RAF Firemen doing what they are paid to do, in the usual proffesional manner expected.

Jobza Guddun
27th Feb 2005, 17:13
Beg to differ L1A2, but the fire service at Tossie is manned by civvies, which I believe makes them DFS.

Still, matters not, good job fellas.:ok:

BTW, this is the third undercarriage related incident in a year IIRC. Something we should know about, Wyton?

L1A2 discharged
27th Feb 2005, 19:05
bu**er. foot mouth extraction ......

still, if they are civvies that makes fewer bods to do guard - or don't any firepeeps do guard anyway?

The Rocket
27th Feb 2005, 23:06
Jobza,

It'll have been about a year and a half now fella, but if all the rumours are right, it's nothing that Wyton would know about directly. One incorrectly fitted hydraulic valve, one case of thinking your CBLS are wheels, and we'll find out soon enough what happened at Lossie.

Good work though fellas. And a much better idea than a cheeky dip in the Moray Firth!!:ok: :ok: :ok: