PDA

View Full Version : Position Reports

SsaKcaj
22nd Feb 2005, 11:07
When Giving a position report, do you give your next estimated position as the next reporting point or the next waypoint (if not a reporting point)?

reynoldsno1
22nd Feb 2005, 19:46
You report at a reporting point, so I think you have answered your own question....

DeltaSix
22nd Feb 2005, 21:31
Both, whichever comes first. If the reporting point is before your next waypoint then give your estimate for the reporting point and vice versa.

You even give an estimate or a position fix for your top of descent.

D6

QSK?
22nd Feb 2005, 22:10
SsaKcaj:

There is no requirement to report at a waypoint unless you have identified such a waypoint as a reporting point (in addition to the mandatory reporting points on a published ATS route) in your flight plan notification.

SsaKcaj
23rd Feb 2005, 01:09
I don't think I worded my question clear enough, I do realise you are supposed to report at reporting points only:

Eg. Tracking from AY-DUGGI-ELW, AY and ELW are reporting points.
Overhead AY, position report is, "Centre ABC, AY 26, 8000, estimating.... at ...." [now is it DUGGI or ELW that you are supposed to give your estimate for]?

colonel hannibal
23rd Feb 2005, 01:59
Doesn't seem to be much point in giving an estimate for a point at which you will not report, does there ?

QSK?
23rd Feb 2005, 04:33
SsaKcaj:

As advised previously, it all depends on what you inserted within Field 15 of your FPL. However, in your example you would only have to give the estimate for the next mandatory reporting point ie ELW.

The only exception to this is if you had specifically nominated the intermediate waypoint DUGGI as a reporting point in your FPL.

In other words:

(a) if you had entered the text string "DCT AY ELW ML DCT" or "DCT AY V147 ELW V175 ML DCT" in Field 15 of the FPL form (for a flight from AY to ML) then no estimates (or position reports) for DUGGI or BELLA would be required to be notified to ATC.

(b) however, if you had entered "DCT AY DUGGI ELW BELLA ML DCT" in Field 15 for the same flight, then both estimates and position reports would be required to be provided to ATC for DUGGI and BELLA (assuming you are not under radar surveillance by that stage).

Hope that clarifies the situation.

Capt Claret
23rd Feb 2005, 08:22
For domestic operations, use the word "estimating" may be omitted. Most do.

Estimate is for the next reporting point.

SsaKcaj
23rd Feb 2005, 19:44
QSK?, understood perfectly that time thanks.

Capt Claret, I am aware not use "estimating", was used here to help clarify the example/question i was giving. Thanks Anyway. It is very rare to give position reports these days if you flog around in the radar environment.