PDA

View Full Version : landing/take off distance factors for PA34 Seneca

spitfire747
21st Feb 2005, 17:17
Hi
Could anyone just confirm to me for the IRT what the public transport cat safety factors are for landing and take off for the PA34 Seneca (II)

BIG Thanks in advance
Spitty

Charlie Zulu
21st Feb 2005, 22:25
Can't help you with the answer as I'm still learning the stuff in Performance but all the best for the IRT!

I've sent you a PM.

Keygrip
21st Feb 2005, 23:36
spit - and anybody else taking I/R or CPL training - I say again, there are various possibilities for these answers - and the only one that is correct is the one that is published in the operations and/or training manual for the school at which you are doing your training.

Despite what other people tell you they used - the only correct answer is the distance and factor in the individual school manual.

That also goes for x-wind limit, max wind limit, worst weather to fly in - everything.

Ask the school for the CAA Approved Operations Manual and also read the Training Manual - that is exactly what they are for.

Then ask the school why they didn't tell you this.

BigEndBob
22nd Feb 2005, 00:26
Be careful with the Seneca II, some flight manuals contain supplements with factored graphs and watch out for copies originating from USA they show max weights greater than 4000lb.

Always refer to the specific CAA approved a/c flight manual !

Stan Evil
24th Feb 2005, 12:35
The PA34-200T Seneca II is a Perf C aeroplane as defined by the ANO (ANGRS Section3). This means that the graphs in the POH have factors of 1.25 for take off and 1.43 for landing already applied in accordance with BCARS. The law requires these factors to be applied for public transport flying. However, for an AOC operator working to JAR-OPS 1, the Seneca II (and all other light pistons) is a Perf B aeroplane - fortunately the factors remain the same, 1.25 and 1.43. Even so, the AOC operator must obtain an exemption from the ANO to operate to JAR-OPS 1 as there are differences regarding the use of ASDA and slope.

Flying schools are not bound by the ANO with regard to performance calculations as they are not, generally speaking, AOC operators. They therefore decide what factors to use and publish them in their Ops Manual - more often than not the manual will state that calculations are to be iaw ANGRs or iaw JAR-OPS 1.

For other light aircraft (like the Seneca III) which are Perf E under ANGRs you have to be more careful as the Perf E factors are 1.33 and 1.43 and these may or may not be included in the POH graphs. So if you operate these ac to JAR-OPS 1 you may have to unfactor the t/o performance by 1.33 and then refactor by 1.25.

BTW not all Seneca IIs are certified to 1999 kg in the UK - it depends whether the operator wants to carry a decent load or whether he wants to avoid Eurocontrol charges.