PDA

View Full Version : Dad wants to see Venice again, Age 92

Sunfish
21st Feb 2005, 09:09
OK , Dad is still relatively fit. Not overweight, but frail if you know what I mean. He wants to see Venice again and is getting fit(!) to be able to walk around. He would be accompanied by a spritely 54 year old(my brother). Money is no object (within limits) I would welcome suggestions re airlines, procedures and so on.

OZBUSDRIVER
21st Feb 2005, 09:19
Sunfish. The best suggestion would be to PM EWLoco. He would be able to point you in the right direction :D

Woomera
21st Feb 2005, 09:39
Sunfish

"Spritely" and "54 years old" I suppose that means 59 year old me has just about had it.:} :{

Go for it with Dad, the esteemed EWL will set you right and your brother will be fine as long as he takes a collapsible zimmer frame, Mrs Woomera 55 years old has recently come back from there with our eldest daughter.

Don't plan to go in the winter, they spent most of the time in Wellies or walking around on planks. But it's beautiful any time of the year

Oh and BTW if you are going QF make sure that someone has the keys to the defib 'n stuff on board.:}
:ok: :p

enicalyth
21st Feb 2005, 10:15
Venezia!

I stayed there cheaply just off the NW corner of Piazza San Marco. Try http://www.eurocheapo.com/venice/listings/sanmarco.asp
because I have forgotten the name of the place and so has Caro.

If you fly to UK first then any low-cost from Stansted or wherever will do. The flight is short and buy a bundle of public transport tickets at any tabac when you arrive in Venice. It's a bus to begin with despite all them canals and cheap!

Dad may be up in years but it is still advisable to get on the first floor! On my visit there was 30mm of water sloshing round Piazza San Marco! Flooding is now more and more prevalent as the Old Lady sinks

Venice is a warren of back streets, very clean though, and easy to get lost even with a good town map. Views?? You just take the ferry to, is it?? San Clemente?? It is an abbey with wheelchair and lift access to the top of the campanile and is in my book better than St Marks which can be a poo fight. The old airport was still over there too in its fading Fascist glory. The old fellow won't have forgotten.

While you are out there it is worth having a barbie at the Lido and the ferry out to Murano is very picturesque. Famous for its glass. Just don't miss the last ferry, eh! It leaves quite early and we just made the last one by that much!

Suggest you read the "Rough Guide" too and never hesitate to book a family room in a decent hostel either. They are not all like Toddy's in Alice which is for the young 'uns!!

I flew with "Go" who are no more but it was a good clean chirpy experience.

Best of Luck

E

DirectAnywhere
22nd Feb 2005, 08:52
Presume dad's in MEL??

CX to Honkers to connect with CX to Rome, or whomever you so choose via wherever you want....with shortest transit time or 24 hours break for the old man.

Any number of connections to Venice (run roughly every couple of hours Alitalia from Rome by memory), and very easy bus or boat connections from the mainland across the causeway to Venice.

Take plenty, and I mean plenty, upwards of $150US a night, of moolah to stay in Venezia itself or slightly less to stay on the mainland and commute daily.