PDA

View Full Version : That was a BIG bird!

rotornut
20th Feb 2005, 16:51
http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/articles/military_photos_200521623.asp

Crótalo
20th Feb 2005, 17:28
No way to tell for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if that bird is a turkey vulture. They're very prevalent in certain parts of the world, they seem to love airports :uhoh: and they certainly have the size/mass to leave large holes in aircraft!

They have a body length of approx 24 in/60 cm, a wingspan of up to 6 feet/182 cm, and weigh up to 6 lbs/2.7 kg. That'll do some damage.

Of course, there are loads of other birds that could do significant damage as well....

Landmark
20th Feb 2005, 17:44
Bloody hell........!

Avman
20th Feb 2005, 18:49
Cold turkey I guess!

Touch'n'oops
21st Feb 2005, 06:08
hahahahahaha.... hahahahahhahahha!!!!

That is funny as S**T!!!! With the feet hanging down and all!!!!

hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!:D :D :D :D

Oh! and my condolences to the bird's family!!!

Anita Bush
21st Feb 2005, 07:47
I had the honour of flying with 'Big Turk' during Gulf War One. He was a true aviator who wouldn't let anything ruffle his feathers. As a member of the mess he would often be seen hanging around in the bar until the wee small hours, drinking his particular brand of bourbon.

My sympathies go out to his family and friends as he makes his way to the last great basting.

'Twenty minutes per pound plus another twenty for luck good buddie'

:(

rotornut
21st Feb 2005, 11:53
I wouldn't be surprised at all if that bird is a turkey vulture
I agree. They are darned big and ugly. But when I was in India once I saw a kite. A HUGE bird that made the turkey vulture look like a little chicken in comparison!

engineer(retard)
21st Feb 2005, 13:20
Could have been worse....might have been frozen :\

ShyTorque
21st Feb 2005, 13:45
Serves it right for standing up...

SALAD DODGER
21st Feb 2005, 14:30
You should see the dent that Kieth Harris made in the other wing!

Navaleye
21st Feb 2005, 14:40
If its TX or OK it could also be a Water Turkey - although I can't remember seeing one fly though. I bet that gave it a headache. :uhoh:

SmilingKnifed
21st Feb 2005, 14:57
An act of revenge by Rod Hull's family?

After all, they reckon Emu had a hand in it! :E

Coat, getting........

L J R
21st Feb 2005, 17:30
What was the last thing that went thru his mind?.

That would be his Ar**s Hole then.

Divergent Phugoid!
21st Feb 2005, 21:31
Hooraaahhhhh!!!!!

No more bloody birdy song!!

Was thinking, do you get fries with that? Wasn't a delivery by a Nav on resettlement leave?? Was it??

Lee Jung
22nd Feb 2005, 20:23
Some creatures will do anything to gain asylum.

adr
23rd Feb 2005, 09:17
Four hours earlier: "Yeah, hi mate, I've got a bit of a problem. Just taxied into a lighting column. Can you nip down the wildlife reserve and get the biggest, ugliest bird you can find.... No, no, I mean bird, with feathers.... I'll explain when you get here."

adr

buoy15
23rd Feb 2005, 14:34
Summer, 1984, in the descent at 23000ft - big 'clunk' followed by ,"Crew, I suspect we've had a birdstrike"

Next voice on intercom - "Roger, was it on oxygen?"

Made a mess of the leading edge outboard of No 4 - must have been a big bird.

Probably not as big as some of the birds in the Salutation in Doncaster on a Thursday night, but that's another story!

Love many, Trust a few, Size 12 is good for you!

Radar Riser
24th Feb 2005, 00:37
"We've just had a bird strike"

"What's the damage?"

"Well I'm no vet, but I don't think it will ever fly again!" ;)

BEagle
24th Feb 2005, 07:23
Landing at the Covert Oxonian Aerodrome one night, a fox shot across the runway in front of us. We called ATC to advise them that Charlie was out on the aerodrome and was now a few pounds lighter.

"You think you hit it, then?"
"No - last we saw it was dumping down to landing weight!"

This particular fox obviously enjoyed life in the Cotswolds and had a hint of Belstone cheek about it. Once, queuing up at the traffic lights, we saw it being pursued by the hunt in full cry. Charlie got to the boundary fence, burrowed underneath and carried on - but the hunt came to a grinding halt on the the other side with much frustration. Charlie then trotted across the taxiway, paused, turned round to make sure he wasn't being followed, then crapped plentifully in full view of his pursuers!

Back to the thread - it's a good job that the bird in question wasn't some of the ones I've seen in uniform.....