PDA

View Full Version : buying 50 twin hrs?

skywagon
20th Feb 2005, 09:52
Gidday Ppruners,

Just wondering if some of you older /wiser members out there can offer me some advice?... Ive got just over 2000 hrs , b cat (grade2) MEIR ect but only 50 multi.

Not enough for a go at the airlines but then I keep getting told by alot of GA operators who I approach for some twin work Ive too much (??!!) total time for them and they would lose me to an airline too quickly! AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!

Im basically wondering if I should extend my morgage (cringe!) buy 50 hrs in a 'cheap' twin and then beg at the door of every regional out there? 100 twin still dont seem much, anyway I reside in NZ, Im instructing only part time while knocking off ATPs and working another part time job to keep the bills payed
and just want to get on the road as I turn 33 this year (yikes).

Im also a qualified spanner swinger if someone out there knows of anyone in OZ/NZ who would give me a break!

Cheers in advace!

Wanikiba_pilot
20th Feb 2005, 13:29
Shhh,
Dont tell anyone you're a spanner swinger, they'll lock you up in a hangar and make you fix aeroplanes all day;)

You might need to look further afield, IE the Pacific islands. Your time looks about right to get a go with a mob flying as a BN2 driver or twin otter FO. Try Vanuatu (NZ instructor time is good too), Fiji, Solomons(be careful), Best of luck....

Keep banging on doors.

WP

flyby_kiwi
21st Feb 2005, 20:28
I dont think Id reccomend buying 50 twin hours at a ball park cost of 20k with all the airways charges etc.

How much PIC time have you got on an IFR plan (if any?) As a 2000hr B-Cat going the multi IF instructor path may be an option.

Second to that consider Airwork or Air National. The multi time doesnt seem to be as much of an issue as it is with the other regionals. Just need about 10k for the type rating.

Your quite right - After spending the $$$, 100 multi may not make a difference, besides im sure some on the job experience would be viewed a little more highly that 100hrs private ops.

All the best.