PDA

View Full Version : Balloon released by vandals at Carlisle

Tallbloke
20th Feb 2005, 09:51
I saw this (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,1271,-4813631,00.html?gusrc=ticker-103704) as I was logging on this morning. For those who do not follow links, an advertising balloon was released by vandals at Carlisle, and it is making it's way South.

Arkroyal
20th Feb 2005, 10:07
There are quite strong southerly winds and it has floated off at a rate of knots, heading towards Manchester Airport." :confused:

Kestrel_909
20th Feb 2005, 10:21
Shouldn't that be northerly winds OR floating off towards Wick?:p

Squealing Pig
20th Feb 2005, 11:06
Thought those things were supposed to deflate if tension in the line was released (ie breaks free)

hobie
20th Feb 2005, 14:16
"If anyone returns the balloon they will be rewarded with a set of golf clubs. But it has to be in one piece, it can't be full of shotgun pellets."
What a nice chap :ok:

Anti Skid On
21st Feb 2005, 07:18
Please, please, please shoot it. Golf is a dull game, played by dull people in very unfashionable clothes, who think they look great.

broadreach
21st Feb 2005, 21:41
I agree, shoot the damn thing down.

But, just to acquire some perspective, you should travel in Brazil for a while.

There's an interesting approach to GIG over a largish rubbish dump with circling vultures.

During important (to Brazil) World Cup games, try a SDU-CGH shuttle and enjoy the nervous twitching of the A319 or 737 as it weaves its way through the forest of 3-5m long black barrage sausages.

Around Sao Joćo (can't remember if it's Jun or Jul), gawk at the five-storey high balloons drifting over the approach with ten-storey high battery-powered signs hanging beneath. Hitting a balloon might not be much to write home about but taking an automobile battery out might be more than painful.

hobie
22nd Feb 2005, 09:17
Please, please, please shoot it. Golf is a dull game, played by dull people in very unfashionable clothes, who think they look great.

..... must admit I was going to suggest that the RAF have a go at it :p

ps. I don't play golf .... honest :{

Winter Warrior
23rd Feb 2005, 20:25
When is the open season on barrage balloons? Let the golfers take pot shots... (or is that putt-shots...:yuk: )

Farrell
24th Feb 2005, 08:43
"Cumbria Police said: "We're confident that someone will spot a 20ft object floating in the sky.""

Sigh! :rolleyes:

MadsDad
25th Feb 2005, 10:54
There was also the occasion, some years ago, when a balloon in the shape of a 20 ft. pink pig (being filmed for a video by Pink Floyd) 'escaped' from Hampstead Heath.

Heathrow traffic was issuing warnings to incoming aircraft (to some disbelief at times). It was last seen, being chased by a police helicopter, over Kent as I recall.