PDA

View Full Version : Herc Towbar

Mark McG
19th Feb 2005, 17:27
Hi,

I have a quick question that I hope either an RAF Herc Ground or Flight Crew member could answer.

Currently when ever one of your Herc's visits GLA it is parked side on to the stand on stand 6. The airport authority have been asking Execair, who in turn have asked us if there are any suitable tow bars at GLA for a Herc, as they would ideally like the aircraft to be parked nose in.

Do any of you know if there are any towbars that are used by current civil widebodies that could be used on a Herc.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

16 blades
19th Feb 2005, 19:00
We can always park nose-in, as long as we can power-back. We really don't like having to f**k about with pushes - they are a pain in the arse and we inevitably end up sucking the hind tit in the queue for a tug.

I really have no clue as to what towbars would fit us, but I'm fairly sure we can bring our own ones with us if required! ...don't quote me on this, though!

16B

Mark McG
19th Feb 2005, 19:13
16B

thanks - the only aircraft that are allowed to power back at GLA are normally the Loganair Twin Otter's.

There is a Tristar bar at GLA, and it was mentioned that it may fit the Herc - only problem being it is of the short stubby kind and may not provide enough clearance for the nose if it did indeed fit.

oldfella
19th Feb 2005, 19:57
The problem with powering back is the propwash. Watch all the kids in the terminal, noses pressed to the windows, run as the windows start to flex. Trust me, been there, done it.

Jobza Guddun
19th Feb 2005, 20:20
So reverse into the bay then?

Beeayeate
19th Feb 2005, 20:36
Jobza

Think about that. :hmm:

Incipient Sinner
19th Feb 2005, 22:00
Forgive him, I had to think about it. Well... for about 2 seconds.

Jobza Guddun
19th Feb 2005, 22:48
Sorry guys that was tooooo facetious. Do apologise.

StopStart
19th Feb 2005, 23:19
Got a pushback at Orly a while ago - they seemed to have a generic towbar that fitted. No idea what it was though.....sorry

bluetail
20th Feb 2005, 16:55
There,s only type of towbar that fits a Herc, Its a Herc towbar, just like the Mighty Hunter which also has a completely unique bar...................in true NATO (US) fashion its totally unique.

StopStart
20th Feb 2005, 17:56
Got a pushback at Orly a while ago - they seemed to have a Herc towbar. A big white Herc towbar with Air France written on the side.

:hmm:

hobie
20th Feb 2005, 18:14
GLA could always buy one ........

http://www.c130towbars.com/

:ok:

Jambo Jet
20th Feb 2005, 18:19
Im current on Herc. And used to work for Execair back in the 80's. Every time I went to GLA we could reverse taxi. The Stands there are pretty isolated.

bluetail
20th Feb 2005, 18:27
HOBIE

You a Tow Bar spotter then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me being a RIAT...EER of some standing, I thought I,d seen it all, from Tractor to Fire Engine Spotters, but this is a new one to me

You should become a RIAT Volunteer we are allways struggling to sort out our bars on the Eng Team, you could be just the answer !!

BT

hobie
20th Feb 2005, 20:32
Bluetail .... you spotted my fetish, you turkey! :{

:ok:

2port
21st Feb 2005, 08:22
Thought it was about time the "windows being blown in at Edinburgh" story was mentioned.

"Ascot xxxx, do you require a push-back"
"No thanks, we'll reverse out"

Oops!

2P

hobie
21st Feb 2005, 12:09
I recall a 777 diverting into our local strip with an engine mal-function (Havana > LHR) ..... pulled up at the normal terminal gates with lots of glass .....

after an hour or so of Engineers checks the crew asked if an engine test run would be ok on stand .....

the reply came back .... "No way Hose!!!!" :p