PDA

View Full Version : OFT

TubularBells
19th Feb 2005, 08:50
Hey folks!

I'm just in the process of completing my ATPLs and then I'm off to Orlando (Kissimmee) to stay at a friend's place so I can get some hours built and do a night rating before returning to the UK for cpl/ir training.

Can anyone pass some recent experiences on OFT (i.e within the last year)? I've completed a search but most of the views are from early 2004.

Many thanks in advance for all information received!

TB.:D

raceeend
19th Feb 2005, 11:15
TubularBells,

I recently (a week ago)got an email from someone who is there at the moment.

He has been there in 01-2004 as wel and he told me things have become better.

They have a completely new staff including the Chief instructor, who's wel known in the business and a verry competent one. I believe he's a CAA examiner as wel.

They have bought better A/C as wel and got rid of the old (and dangerous)Cessna 152's and got a couple of better ones instead.

So that now you can do Simulated emergeancy's again instead of coping with actual emergeancy's.:oh:

All the Piper's seem to be in good shape and I heard that they are having a Piper Seminole for the Twin ratings afters the Nose gear colapsed during takeoff on the Duchess.

So hope I gave you some information you were looking for.

Greetings from Amsterdam

:D André :D

TubularBells
20th Feb 2005, 07:28
Thanks André that helps alot. Sounds a bit more positive than the older material I've been reading.

TB.:ok:

raceeend
20th Feb 2005, 12:15
TubularBells,

Seems that times have changed, and to be honest, the guy from ho I got the email about the situation isn't an ****KISSER at OFT, the time I was there with him, he was quite critical about the whole operation there when I thought eveything was allright.

So it seems that things have realy changed, although off course you still have to do it yourself, and don't expect to much of the evening classes for the theorie, buy yourself a confuser and studie as much as possible!

Succes

wingbar
21st Feb 2005, 18:27
Can agree with you all as a very experienced OFT'er I have seen the bad the worse and the now, very very much improved operation, very much thanks to the new Chief instructor, Piers.
- An Exceptional gentlemen in the industry.

I say go and enjoy.

:ok:

Keygrip
21st Feb 2005, 23:30
wingbar - you're already out of date - Piers is not the CFI (any more). Frustrating, isn't it.

lamma
23rd Feb 2005, 09:18
Just been there hour building and some IFR experience. Had a great time and nearly 50 hours. Very helpful and the instructors I had seemed excellent. Like anything though you have to decide what you want to achieve and remain pro active in achieving your goals.

GA is treated with repect there though and you don't get heavy fees everytime you tread on an airfield.

The PA28 all seem in good condition and the 2 Warriors have GPS. They do still have 152 but have new 172's and seminols also.

Weather not as good as I thought though and couldn't fly for 4 days which suprised me. Lot of mist in mornings, which I guess should only be expected with the ground moisture content and generally hazy. But we should all know by now when can you take weather for granted. Would I go again

Darn right I would
Tally Ho
Lamma

raceeend
23rd Feb 2005, 10:57
Keygrip,

So where is he now? At EFT in fort Peirce?

<<edit: He's "physically" still at OFT - until early March - but he's not the CFI. In March he returns to Cabair, UK.>>

TubularBells
24th Feb 2005, 22:26
Lovely, thanks for the feedback everyone.

Just booked up my flights, so off I go in April. Just got to get the rest of those pesky phase 2 exams out of the way.:\

Oh to be flying.

Cheers,

TB.:ok: