PDA

View Full Version : When should I start flying in the UK?

UnderneathTheRadar
19th Feb 2005, 08:16
Hi all,

I'm looking for any feedback to help decide between two plans.

At present, I have an Oz PPL, 200 hrs TT (inc NVFR & CSU/Retract (Complex SE)) time. I'm doing my ATPL theory with BGS and so have ME, IR & CPL to go (ignoring MCC for the moment). I've not yet flown in the UK GA scene other than as a passenger.

Option 1 - do UK based M/E rating - costs say GBP2200 (seems a reasonable average).

Option 2 - do Oz based M/E rating - costs say GBP1400 ($3610) at my flying school.

Would the 800 quid saved cover the costs of getting up to speed in a multi in the UK before trying CPL/IR? Roughly speaking, I could get up to 3 hours dual M/E time for the difference or 6 hours in a 172.

In either event, I plan to spend some money aquainting myself with UK airspace first - either before starting UK ME or after arriving with Oz ME.

Any feedback from those who done either would be appreciated.

As an extension - could a better alternative be doing all the flying in Oz then comming back here and doing the CPL conversion course with the savings? According to EPT the minimum is 10 hours sim, 1 hour multi engine, 5 hours ME IR & 1 hour 170A. Tinstaafl - is that what you did?

Thanks in advance,

UTR.

PS Any info on how prospective employers treat overseas hours vs local hours would be great too.

GusHoneybun
19th Feb 2005, 08:57
I wouldn't suggest you do the ME rating in Oz. The CAA don't convert type or class ratings over to JAA land without a large headache, if at all. So in all honesty, apart from the hours in the logbook any multi training in Oz will be a waste of money (from a JAA point of view).

I wouldn't worry too much about UK airspace. OK, it's different to what you are used to, but if you are proceeding to do a CPL, then you will be certainly become familiar with UK airspace by the time you complete the training. Also, it will probably be easier for you as you will be more like a blank sheet to your instructor, easier to mould.

I don't know how much complex time you have, but if you are happy with using the dangly and wobbly bit you might want to consider doing your ME bit as part of the CPL course. It changes the minimum training required to 28 hours, with 6 on a multi and a 2 hour test (in a multi obviously).

UnderneathTheRadar
21st Feb 2005, 11:46
Gus,
Thanks for the prompt reply. Forgive me for asking your experince with conversion of ratings from non-JAA land. I ask because LASORS and some FTOs (Cabair for example) appear to say it's all doable - of course they both use some fairly wooly statements like 'discrection of Head of Training' for determining hours which may be the equivalent of writing a blank cheque!

So I'm just curious to see if you have any practical experience of such to compare against these theoretical claims!

Cheers

UTR

(and thanks for the other tips!)