PDA

View Full Version : Cpt Phillip Blown, VR-HEU

PJ_Slick
19th Feb 2005, 02:14
I ordered Syd's Pirates from an internet used book store in the states a week or so ago. The book arrived today, when I opened it it had an old typed (31-7-54)two page letter in the jacket giving the account of the shooting down of the Cathay Pacific Airways Skymaster VR-HEU. and subsequent rescue by gooses.The account is written(typed) by the Captain Phillip Blown and signed by him. there are also two photos of I presume Cpt Blown. One is black and white (he looks to be in his mid 30's) , the other I believe is also him in colour (I'm guessing 60's).
I was wondering if Cpt Blown is still alive (any senior Cathay gents might know?), and if so perhaps he or his family might want the photos and written account. I'm not really sure about posting the account as it seems quite personal. The First Officer also survived. It seems quite genuine but if someone with more or personal knowledge of the people or incident involved would comment or PM me it would be appreciated.

A Curious PJ_Slick

Cpt Phillip Blown
F/O Cederic Carlton
F/E G. Cattanach (perished)
R/O Steve Wong (perished)
F/A Rose Chen (perished)

PS-certainly a harrowing and unfortunate story.

Look before you leap-- I feel like a bit of a git, I just looked a little farther along in 'Syd's Pirates' and found a picture of Cpt Blown and it matches the photos I found. There is also an account of the incident in the book that is the same, just worded differently.

Traffic
19th Feb 2005, 09:28
Very interesting.

Phil left Hong Kong in about 1961 or 62 and returned to Sydney. I do know that he was driving a taxi for some time and was living in one of the outer suburbs. His wife's name was Bunty.

If Phil were to be alive he would be about 86 or 87 by now. I think his son's name was Mark but I could be wrong.

I will PM you with more details when I have done some digging.

If we cannot find the family, I do know that CX is currently putting together memorabilia for a museum in Hong Kong. I am sure that they would be particularly interested in this important part of history.

I can only think that this letter and the book may have originated in Australia not the USA. It may have even been Phil&s own copy.

The author, Chic Eather is alive and living on the Gold Coast. He has a website and may I also suggest you send him an email as he may know more about this letter.

HotDog
19th Feb 2005, 22:17
Capt. Phil Blown is still alive, 91 years of age and living in the ACT.

Al E. Vator
20th Feb 2005, 02:16
http://www.chingchic.com/home.htm

Contact Chic

If you would like to find out more information write to Chic at:

Ching Chic Publishers,
83 Riverwalk Avenue, Robina 4226, Queensland, Australia

or by simply sending an e-mail to:

[email protected]

You can also contact us on:

+61 755 758572

PJ_Slick
21st Feb 2005, 20:28
Thanks for your assistance, the wheels seem to be in motion.

Cheers PJ_Slick